Looking for a great neighborhood to live in. Looking to spend $500k - $600k. Suggestions?

Asked by Ron Atkinson, Norfolk, VA Sun Sep 30, 2007

Husband and wife, both 50 with no kids, are being transferred to Seattle in November 2007. Have lived in Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, Tampa and Norfolk. Looking to maximize the Seattle Lifestyle.

Answers

25
Rachel Pajac…, , Seattle, WA
Wed Oct 17, 2007
If you enjoy city life--Queen Anne or Belltown. Hands down. Basically, almost every neighborhood from downtown north to Greenlake is good. If you look on a map-- look from around the south tip of Lake Union up to Greenlake. I suggest taking a weekend to drive around. Of course, it also depends on what kind of home you want for 500-600K-- condo, small home, big home, house boat, townhome....
Orlo and Bun…, Agent, Edmonds, WA
Tue Sep 16, 2008
I was born and raised in Seattle and thought that I would never live anywhere else. However, over 20 years ago my wife and I moved to a suburb city called Edmonds. We love it. It's close to the waterfront, has it's own downtown shopping area, has many community sponsored events, is still relatively close to downtown Seattle, and has been voted the friendliest city in Washington. You could go to the Edmonds Chamber of Commerce site for more information, or check my own web-site for Edmonds links.
Web Reference:  http://www.orlofuller.com
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Mon Sep 15, 2008
That type of stong preference exists a lot, expecially when it's based on school district or proximity to work. And I'm not suggesting trying to override that preference. I'm merely suggesting that it's often/usually in the buyer's interests to expand the scope of their search, unless perhaps they find their dream house in their dream area. As they say, it doesn't hurt to look!
Patrick Beri…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Sep 14, 2008
I find that many people have strong opinions about where to live. Drive over to West of Market in Kirkland and ask ANYONE you see if they would be interested in living in Bellevue. While these are both "right off the bridge" they are not the same thing. A newcomer to this area would not have the same opinions about where to live so it is up to us to help them find something they'll still be happy with once they've acclimated. This is best done by focusing on the buyer and working outward, instead of the other way around.
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Sun Sep 14, 2008
As to Pat's comments about assuming the OP meant Seattle proper, I wouldn't make that assumption, nor would I advise a buyer to limit their search in such a manner. When my wife and I were looking the only areas of King County we excluded was anything south of the south half of Kent (roughly). But having that broad of a search depends in part on how particular your needs are. If you're happy with just about any floor plan, yard size, etc., you could probably base your pick more on neighborhood.
Joyce Shipley, Agent, Tacoma, WA
Sun Sep 14, 2008
Good Morning Ron,

The question is, where is your job? Downtown, North of Seattle, South of Seattle.

Depending on your answer, I live in Gig harbor and love it. It is about an hour from Seattle...South. Just the greatest place. Check out the map and let me know if you want more information. Of course, depending on whether you want a large town feel. I am from the So. California and always drove an hour or more to work, theatre, etc but loved living in a smaller town.

I also work in Fircrest, University Place and Tacoma. I totally love it here.

Let me know if you want more information.
Joyce Shipley
Web Reference:  http://www.joyceshipley.com
Ardell Della…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Sun Sep 14, 2008
I haven't seen a nice house East of Market with a Lake View for anywhere near that price in a very long time. I did see one with an awesome view in Juanita on an almost teardown property.recently. It's $699,000. Email me if you'd like the address, but it's pretty easy to spot on the Lake side of Juanita in the 8200 block. It has some peculiarities, but the view is AWESOME! Not my listing, just one of the most interesting lower priced view properties I have seen.

As to Seattle vs. Kirkland, I find that people consider Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Green Lake...i.e. both sides of the 520 Bridge. For many, Eastside and North Seattle is "a market" moreso than Green Lake vs. Beacon Hill. So "Seattle" is not really "a market". Same holds true for both sides of the I-90 Bridge. When crossing the Bridge is closer than going further away into Seattle or into the Eastside, either side of the Bridge becomes the market of choice.
Patrick Beri…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Sep 14, 2008
My answers were made with the assumption that these people want to live in Seattle, not Kirkland or Renton, which are two completely different cities. I suppose it would be helpful if the original posters on questions like this would throw in some specifics!

Ardell--Does your new listing have any sort of lake view?
Ardell Della…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Sat Sep 13, 2008
I don't generally push my listings this way, and since you asked the question so long ago this is more for the others reading it and who subscribe to answers.

East of Market - Kirkland - Norkirk - rare find at $599,950 on a large, well landscaped and private lot. 1828 3rd (private lane rear home on right and not ON 3rd. Should be listed by Tuesday. For now you can see a few photos on Zillow.
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Sat Sep 13, 2008
As to "Voices Members" response, saying "I hope you rented" my wife and I bought in about the time frame of this post (we closed in October, 2007).

The area we picked was Fairwood Greens in Renton, and we picked it for two reasons: (1) The prices were relatively reasonable; and (2) The neighborhood has an active HOA and is extremely well kept up. We found a great place that was a slight fixer, and have great new neighbors that we love (if anything they might be a bit too social for some).

As the timing of the purchase, I also have two points: (1) I'm not so sure we could have found a house that was so perfect for us if we were looking today. We looked at over 80 houses to find this one. (2) Prices in this neighborhood have not changed significantly in the last year. The median price for the past 4 months for the Fairwood area (slightly larger than Fairwood Green) is only down $6,000 and the mean is down less than $2,000. That's insignificant, but even if the change was greater I don't know it would matter because we have no plans on selling for at least 10 years.
Patrick Beri…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Sep 12, 2008
Part 2 of my answer: What neighborhood in Chicago did you most enjoy? Maybe that would be a good way to start. (Of the cities you mentioned, that's the only one I'm really familiar with :)
Patrick Beri…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Sep 12, 2008
Start by considering YOUR lifestyle. Where will you be working? Condo, townhouse or SFR? View or no view? How much space do you need? Pets? Urban city living or suburban feel? There are a variety of neighborhoods, each with its own personality. There's no real answer to this without first understanding what kind of life you want to live. The "Seattle Lifestyle" that you experience will depend on yours.
Hi, , Virginia
Wed Apr 2, 2008
hi ron
hope you rented

anyways

good luck
Joel Scott, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Wed Apr 2, 2008
Dear Ron,

Your choice will probably depend on whether you prefer in-city or a more suburban lifestyle. Without the worry of schools and child care your options are wide open.

Your posting looks older, are you still in the market?

Feel free to use my convenient website to obtain Seattle-Bellevue area information, and see all listed property in the MLS.

Good Luck,

-Joel Scott
Web Reference:  http://www.joelscott.com
Heather Bens…, , Silverdale, WA
Tue Apr 1, 2008
Hi Ron!

Have you considered Kitsap County? Here in the Bremerton/Silverdale/Port Orchard area we are just a short ferry ride away from Seattle and all it has to offer, but without all the extra hustle and bustle of the city. Here in Bremerton we have been making changes to accomodate those who love the city lifestyle but don't love the amount it cost's to live there. Please check out the City of Bremerton website:

http://www.ci.bremerton.wa.us/

It is full of useful information!

If you would like any information please feel free to contact me anytime.
Dan Edwards, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Tue Apr 1, 2008
Have you taken a look at Issaquah? Close enough to Seattle and some great communities, Issaquah Highlands, Providence Point, and more.
Joni Sharrah, Agent, Lake Forest Park, WA
Wed Mar 12, 2008
Hi Ron,

There are many wonderful housing options for you and your wife to experience the Seattle Lifestyle to the fullest. Where you work and the proximity to your home will drive your choice. Seattle offers a variety of home styles and many are situated to take full advantage of the unique neighborhoods; Lake, Mountain, and Sound view homes are among the many choices. NWSource.com/realestate/neighborhoods/ will help you narrow your search.
Rob Graham, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Mar 11, 2008
Ron,

If you go to NWSource.com. you can look up specific neighborhhods and get a brief intro to each. They also will show you restaurants, sites and attractions for each. Every neighborhood in Seattle is a little different. Take your time and do your research on each.
Rhonda Porter, , Seattle, WA
Sun Nov 18, 2007
It depends on what you like. West Seattle has great restaurants, beaches, wonderful city views and shops. We have fantastic parks and it's bicycle friends with our new sharrows.
barbara mcma…, Agent, Everett, WA
Thu Oct 11, 2007
What does a "great neighborhood" mean to you? What kind of home are you looking to purchase in terms of lifestyle, condition, number of bedrooms, yard, amenities, etc. You can contact the Seattle Chamber of Commerce for information on neighborhoods or the local tourism board. Most agents work geographically. Go to a good website like http://www.johnlscott.com/barbaramcmahon. You can search by neighborhood, "fly over" the area etc.
Viewridger, , 98115
Tue Oct 2, 2007
Check out north Seattle neighborhoods like Wedgewood, Bryant, View Ridge & Maple Leaf. All are within the city limits, very walkable neighborhoods, easy access to downtown and the eastside & access to Burke Gilman Trail. Great shopping (University Village & Northgate, which is going thru a major transformation) & medical access UW Medicine & Childrens Hospital. Also close to the city's 2nd largest park - Magnuson Park which has water access, outdoor ampitheater, lots of free weekend activities. We live in View Ridge and am grateful we bought when we did. No regrets at all - love our neighborhood, love the neighbors, and love the short, easy commute to work!
Aileen-Manha…, , New York, NY
Mon Oct 1, 2007
Mr. Atkinson,

I used to live in Tacoma - just 45 minutes away from Seattle, if the traffic is good. Queen Anne is a good place to start looking. I don't know if you prefer a house or a condo, but downtown Seattle is also a good place to look. If you can live in a neighborhood near Pike's Public Market, you could get your morning coffee from the original Starbucks - go early so you don't have to fight the crowd. Tacoma is also another good alternative and if you don't like to drive - there's a commuter train each morning. Bottom line - there are a lot alternatives to the costs of buying in Seattle. Speak to a local Realtor to fully determine your options. If you don't know one, I would be happy to recommend Karen Miceli with Coldwell Banker Bain. She was my Realtor and she's lovely to work with.
Web Reference:  http://www.cbbain.com
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Mon Oct 1, 2007
Hi Ron,

I hope the link below will help you identify some areas to begin your search. It shows all homes listed on Trulia in Seattle that are also in your price range.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Ardell Della…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Sun Sep 30, 2007
A lot will depend on where you work, due to commute issues. Will you be in Seattle or Bellevue/Redmond? I highly recommend Kirkland if you are on the Eastside, or Downtown Bellevue if you are looking to maximize an in city life style. But whether it is Eastside or Seattle, a condo or townhome will maximize the lifestyle and area in that price range, better than a single family home.
Samuel Hilbe…, , Woodinville, WA
Sun Sep 30, 2007
Depending on how big of a place you would be looking for...you have several options in that price range.

If you enjoy a more country, private setting...there are lots of options in the Woodinville/Bothell area. You will have options that give you new construction as well as larger homes with a relatively large amount of land...all within about 30 minutes of downtown Seattle. This is the neighborhood I live in and absolutely love it.

On the other side of the lake...I really like the Richmond beach area near Shoreline. You can even go a little more north towards Edmonds. In your budget you should be able to find a relatively nice home in that area as well.

Another place to give you a little more of a city feel but offers many nice conveniances is the Crossroads area or even a little more into Redmond. This is a beautiful area located near Microsoft that has lots of good neighborhoods. You will also have many shopping options without travelling to downtown Seattle. As with living anywhere on the eastside though...the only negative is crossing the bridges to downtown Seattle....especially during rush hour...that can be a bear.

If you want to live relatively close to the city and don't mind the condominium lifestyle or a smaller home...my two favorite neighborhoods are Queen Anne and around Madison Park on Lake Washington.

I am not sure what your definition of a "great neighborhood" is. However, if it is anything close to mine these are some great options to look in. I hope this at least helps direct some thinking.

I personally am a fan of many of the neighborhoods north of I-90. Make sure you work closely with a realtor who knows and understands neighborhoods so that you are living in the right neighborhood for you. Seattle is a great city and I am sure that you will love it here!
Web Reference:  http://www.agentsamuel.com