Looking at properties on George Dr and May Ct...is there anyway to estimate flood insurance. I know the fema maps have changed and am wondering impact

Asked by Red, Madison, CT Thu May 3, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Rose McWaid, Agent, Old Saybrook, CT
Wed May 22, 2013
The easiest thing to do is call any insurance agent and provide the property address. They have the most recent flood zone info and will tell you the cost. However, if the property's zone was recently changed as a result of the new maps, then the property can be "grandfathered" and you can get it at the previous rate. And flood insurance policies are transferable.
Any realtor has access to the the flood maps on the MLS so if you have a question on if it is in a flood zone they should be able to answer. Of course, I'd be happy to help.
0 votes
Nicolette Pe…, Agent, Old Saybrook, CT
Mon May 6, 2013
If you are currently working with a buyer's agent I would ask your agent to inquire with seller's agent to see if the owner has current flood insurance. Their insurance can carry onto the new owner and you will have an idea of what they are currently paying. Old Saybrook and Fema do have maps of where the property is situated and yes rates on based on location.
0 votes
Benjamin J S…, Agent, Middletown, CT
Thu May 3, 2012
From my understanding, flood insurance which is all underwritten by FEMA does not vary much from individual to individual, but more from one property to the next. So your best source is to get an actual quote for that address.

Just as a quick check, you could also have your agent ask the seller what they are currently paying in flood insurance.. or if you are there for a showing and happen to see a neighbor on either side, ask them but understand that it may be dramatically different from one property to the next even if they are adjacent.

Good Luck!
0 votes
Mary Lee Bla…, Agent, Old Saybrook, CT
Thu May 3, 2012
You can check this link for a preliminary view of the upcoming (2012) flood map changes-


Then your best bet is to check with an insurance provider. It doesnt cost you anything to get an answer and keeps surprises at bay when you are ready to make a purchase.
Best of luck,
Mary Lee
0 votes
Prudential Ct Realty
1180 Boston Post Road
Old Saybrook, CT
Flag Thu May 3, 2012
Dan Ross, Agent, Southington, CT
Thu May 3, 2012
If you call your insurance agent to get a quote to insure a prospective property, they will tell you if flood insurance will be reuqired, and how much it will cost if it is. It is better to know about a specific address than generalize by a street.

Good Luck
Dan Ross
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
General Area in Old Saybrook Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more