General Area in Knight Park>Question Details

Twinb, Home Buyer in Knight Park, Atlanta,...

Is this is safe neighborhood in comparison to other areas in downtown atlanta?

Asked by Twinb, Knight Park, Atlanta, GA Sun Jul 12, 2009

My best advice has been mentioned - contact the local police and scout out the neighborhood. Here are two websites that might be helpful to you as well:

GOOD LUCK with your home search!

Technically, where exactly is Knight Park?

There are some 3 year old townhomes in Knight Park - they are pretty nice, but I can not recall ever seeing any other listings that are listed in Knight Park and I've shown property in every Intown Atlanta neighborhood, since 2004.

Howell Station, immediately adjacent to Knight Park, is easier to define. Historic - an easy grid of streets - the Fulton County prison as a southern border, Marietta Street as a Northern border - I know where that is.

If you ask most of the folks who live there, they like their neighborhood and they find it to be pretty safe - I live in Kirkwood, on the Eastside, which is pretty popular and commands higher prices per square foot than Howell Station, and I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that our crime rate exceeds the rate in Howell Station.

Just remember that if you live inside the city limits of Atlanta, you are 4 times more likely to be a victim of crime than if you live outside the city limits.

The long term outlook for the Westside is pretty good. In about 15-20 years, I predict, the federal, state, Fulton and Atlanta governments will start to stabilize financially and when all of these stars align, we'll see the development of the Beltline and the development of the super cool Westside megapark - right across the street from Knight Park!

In the meantime, Knight Park dwellers can walk to Carver's Country Kitchen and to the Body Tap strip club...those examples are a look at the the biggest problem with the Westside. Not enough quality retail, restaurant and lifestyle amenities.

The biggest problem with the Westside is not crime - if that is what you mean by "safe."

The biggest problem is the quality of life "squeeze" - the confluence of railroad lines from 48 states merging at the westside Atlanta terminus, the industry and logistics that feed off of Atlanta's 200 year old rail economy, and the general blight that is near Knight Park makes placement of retail amenities and $200,000 + residential developments, fewer and farther between propositions.

If you like Knight Park, compared to all of the 1000's of other Intown Atlanta neighborhood offerings in your price range, then don't be afraid - get involved, be a good neighbor and get to know the good folks at Carver's...their food is superb.

I hear the girlz at Body Tap are extra friendly too.
The best source for neighborhood safety is the local police department or county sheriff's department. They have access to the most current and accurate information and are generally very willing to be helpful.

Hello Twinb,

My recommendation to all my clients is to first " Scout Out The Neighborhood." It is important you scout the neighborhood in person. You live in more than your house.Tak topeople who live there. Drive through the entire area at different times of the day, during the week and on weekends. Become familiar with the neighborhood. The question of safety can be researched through the local police stations that service the areas you are interested in and surrounding areas.

My final recommendation is for you to become the expert on the neighborhood and all the issues you are most concerned about.

Please contact me at 678-427-5512 or email me at if you need the services of a Realtor . I would appreciate the opportunity to work with you on finding that perfect home . To learn more
about me as a Realtor please visit my website at . Especially, preview my cover page " About Me " and the other value added information I have on my website.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Rick Payne