Is there any way(firm) to begin working as a Real Estate salesperson part time in NY? Is it recommendable?

Asked by Wanda Garcia, New York, NY Mon Nov 19, 2012

Answers

10
Merit Group Associates’ answer
Merit Group…, Agent, Sunnyside, NY
Tue Nov 20, 2012
To be truly successful Full time is recommended in Real Estate. It is much harder working part-time. But it can be done. Provided that you dedicate the time and work that time dedicated! You need to also work with a good support team. To assist when you are not in. If you would like to talk more, please email me or call me. Our office covers Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. We specialize in residential rentals and commercial leasing as well as sales. Linda@meritgroupassociates.com
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Wanda, many brokerages will take almost anyone full time or part time. On a personal level, Is it recommendable, will that will depend on you. Despite the perception out there, this is not business where you can make a quick buck..... wrong. The average full time agent only closes a handful or so transactions a year believe it or not. There's a saying 20% of the agents control 80% of the business. You have to work extremely hard and make a lot of sacrifices, not easily done when you are committed employee elsewhere. If this is not a problem for you, then go for it and reap the rewards of this business that has no ceiling if you perform well.
Daniel Alteon, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Mon Mar 4, 2013
Full-time dedication definitely plays a part in an agent's success. Although part-time hours can also facilitate an agent's success but it really depends on the system the agent has in place that can generate consistent business.
Adam Krzesni…, Agent, Jackson Heights, NY
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Please contact me, if you would like to find out more about enrollment, it is very possible to do it part time, there is plenty of options for you.
Feel free at any time
John Peitler, Agent, NY,
Tue Nov 20, 2012
If you would be interested in getting with me, my email is divercomm2@aol.com. If you send me a copy of your resume, we could set up an appointment with you. Thank you and good luck.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Hi Wanda,

You will no doubt be able to identify a company willing to take you on as a part time agent. Whether or not this is recommended, depence on your personal set of circumstances. Most experienced agents understand the time, energy, and personal investment of cast necessaery to get a business venture off the ground. It rarely happens over night.

Your personal needs and finances will likely dictate the direction best for you. With this said, we would highly recommend seeking a "working relationship" with someone already established in the company that needs support of an aspiring agent that is willing to help you get started.

Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Tue Nov 20, 2012
You will have to interview with a few firms to determine who will be the best fit for you. Most will accept part time agents but some do have policies against it for quality control. Keep in mind part time efforts yield part time results.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Michael Levy, Agent, Armonk, NY
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Hi Wanda: You can start working with Grand Lux Realty as soon as you are ready. You can't take a listing or show property or earn a commission until you get your license. But you can start working. You can also recruit agents for us & earn up to $2,000 each for your agent recruits. You can see more information on our website: http://www.GrandLuxRealty.com. We offer up to 80% commission splits with no fees & we have a lot of leads for you. I'll get you really busy with listing appointments & showings to buyers. If you want to talk, please call me at 914-273-9688. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty.

We're looking for more agents & offer commission splits up to 80% with no fees.

If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $2,000 each for your agent recruits.
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Some companies will allow a part time agent. Personally, I believe you'll get more going into it full time. If you take away the safety net of your current job, you'll put yourself in a position where you have to do well. I know that can be a frightening thought. You'll need to interview and see who might be the best fit for you but there is more to consider. It is advisable that you have some savings. If you go into sales, timing make find you at odds with your pocketbook until you close a deal. You could also do rentals for fast cash.

I would say the biggest thing to discuss with a brokerage is what type of training do they offer new agents and is it an ongoing thing. It's also advisable to see if there may be a team that you can join. You can learn by osmosis being around more experienced people and you will pick up on their approach as you learn to make it your own. I wish you good luck.
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Wanda,

This depends on the firm's Broker and their practice.

With the Gladstone Group, (NY, PA, MA & CT), I am happy to bring on part time Realtors and help them develop their business well enough to eventually migrate into full time. This is not mandatory. Some of my part timers are making more money than many full time Realtors.

Do not be put off if you meet up with Brokers who try to disillusion you from doing this.