Is the residential area around Holyoke Community college a safe one for a single women to buy a home?

Asked by Judy, 01002 Mon Jul 4, 2011

I'm a first time home buyer. Not familiar with this area very much. Use to live in Northampton and Westfield. I know Holyoke has a higher crime rate. Does it affect this area?

Answers

8
Nyles L. Cou…, , 01103
Mon Sep 10, 2012
I personally like the area, but this is just my personal opinion. I cannot give you a professional opinion as to where a person should live and which areas are "good" areas. However, I live in Holyoke and I love the college and all that it offers to the community. I hope that helps.
Melissa Whit…, Agent, South Hadley, MA
Mon Apr 1, 2013
I always suggest my to my Buyers to get a feel for the area. Dive by during the day, at night and on weekends. I do live in that area and can say that I have not had a problem in 17 years here. The police department is also a great source of information.
Tracy Torres, Agent, Northampton, MA
Fri Dec 7, 2012
Knowledge is power and like you I thought the same thing about Holyoke when I was looking to purchase a home. I have had the great experience of living in the area for 20 years. I have to say that Holyoke tends to have the "neighborhood" appeal. You really get to know those around you. Also, there are alot of activities to participate in. Tell me about your preferences.
Kathryn Acci…, Agent, Sturbridge, MA
Wed Aug 10, 2011
I agree with Louis. The best place for you to obtain information on this type of issue is the local police department. Pay them a visit, ask to see the police log, what types of crimes are most common, how frequently crimes occur, and so forth. Ask all the questions you need in order to make a sound and safe decision. Good luck!
Amy Mateus, Agent, Ludlow, MA
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Hi Judy,
I have helped many home buyers and sellers in Holyoke and worked full time in the city selling condos at Edgewater Gardens Condominiums so I am very familiar with Holyoke and agree with Christine that just like most cites that are good areas and not so good areas but this area is considered to be one of the nicer ones based on opinions of many buyers and sellers I have worked with. I live in Westfield and am originally from Ludlow so I know there are some preconceived notions about Holyoke and admittingly used to have them myself but after having worked there I actually think it's a great city. There is a website called innovateholyoke.com that has some great information on some of the exciting things happening in Holyoke that should prove very helpful to you as well. If I can help you further please let me know.
Amy
Web Reference:  http://gracegrouprealty.com/
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Tue Jul 5, 2011
We can't really say which areas are good / bad that is called steering. I can say there are some really nice parts of Holyoke and some not so nice parts. You should find a buyers agent who is familiar with the area to help you find out the answers to your questions.
A first time buyer in this market with nothing to sell is getting a great deal with prices and rates. You can look in West Springfield or Chicopee as well. The most house for your money would be Springfield
Michael Crum, , East Longmeadow, MA
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Judy,
I can tell you my that daughter has lived in this exact area for the past several years and they have never had an issue. There is a diverse mix of young families and long term home owners there. The area is well kept and sought after as a place to live. If you would like more detailed information about the area please feel free to contact me.

I welcome the opportunity to help you.

Win the day!
Mike

413-478-6540
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Mon Jul 4, 2011
Trulia has excellent community information, but I would also check with the local police dept and the college security as well..