General Area in West Village>Question Details

theahelfer, Renter in New York, NY

Is the West Village a good area for a young family?

Asked by theahelfer, New York, NY Tue Mar 19, 2013

My family may move from Asia to NY. We've heard good things about the West Village, but I am wondering if it's a good/safe area for a young family. We have a 4 year old and almost 2 year old. My husband's office is near Penn Station, if not the West Village, is there anywhere else someone can suggest/recommend?

Answers

11
Joseph Hastings’ answer
Hi Thea. This is a question that at it's heart, is one of the Quality of life. Manhatttan is certainly a fantastic city. Many families have lived and thrived there and continue to do so. Great cities also have a plethora of influences from clothes to food to entertainment. Walk to the corner Deli at 2:30am and get something to eat. Things move very fast in New York.

The West Village is a fantastic, vibrant part of New York. There are Townhouses there with great space and light. Subway access is available and there are many Restaurants and boutique shops. You're a short walk to NYU and Washington Square Park. I will say as there is never much available in that area, prices can be high.

On the other hand, some people prefer the suburbs. A nice house with a backyard and some space, maybe a Dog. That might also mean a commute into the city but weekends with the Family at Home are hard to beat. Location, Location, Location. There are different meanings to different people. You just have to choose your lifestyle.

If I may be of service, please feel free to contact me via Trulia. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 19, 2013
Reserach on your own, or visit a neighborhood several times to get a sense of belonging. real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 19, 2013
Hey Thea,

The West Village ranked the 8th best neighborhood in NYC according to StreetAdvisor.

Great for:
Neighborly Spirit
Eating Out
Clean & Green
Safe & Sound
Resale or Rental Value

NOT GREAT FOR:
Cost of Living
Parking
Lack of Traffic
Pest Free
Parks & Recreation

WHO LIVES HERE?
Professionals
Singles
Families with kids
Retirees
Trendy & Stylish

As any advice, YOU are the one that will like the neighborhood or not. Something as simple as the stores on the block where you could potentially live will make or break your West Village experience.

Best of Luck
I have lived in Greenwich Village for over 30 years and raised 23 yr old twins here and a chocolate labrador. I was one of the 100 community people who petitioned for the dog run in washington sq. park. It is a perfect place for a family. Though, it has gentrified and the diversity component of years ago is virtually non existant. It is wealty as most of Manhattan is these days but, the conveniece, terrific parks, YMCA's, Whole food delivery, trader Joe's, Bed Bath etc shopping, the children's museum of the arts, Chelsea Piers, the east village next door with the highline, chelsea market, amazing food, and wonderful public schools, with aftershool, are plentiful. This is a community of education with NYU, the New School, Cooper Union, Film Academy schools and dance all woven in the fabric of the Village and the arms surrounding it too. Transportation is everywhere and exceptionally convenient too. Parking..well, that is impossible and challenging all over NYC. You get more bang for your buck living further uptown space wise near perhaps Columbia Universtiy or on the Upper West Side. There are rules about "fair housing" and steering is not allowed as a sales person. There are benefits to all communites in NYC. It is a melting pot of uniqeness. Call me if I can be of assistance. Evette J. Stark Katz 917-902-5798
I am a Weichert Licensed Sales Broker and not sure why this came up as a Home Buyer.
Flag Wed Feb 12, 2014
When I think of the West Village the word family doesn't come to mind.
The Financial District is nice and some of those buildings even have Montessori Schools Inside them.
Tribeca is a nice area for Families as well. Roosevelt Island, Murray Hill.
The Village is a place you will go with your mate when you have a baby sitter for the Night

-Dave The Apartment Guy
Financial district is horrible for families - this person has no idea what they are talking about
Flag Tue Jul 29, 2014
Please contact me. I have nice apartments in the West Village. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. Thank you and good luck.
Any neighborhood that you like is good . You should always make your own determination, as there is a wide range of individual sensibilities and criteria that are applied to this assessment.by different individuals depending on their background. .
If you have never been there, the West Village is a densely populated urban area, with a wide range of neighborhood amenities, including parks for children to play in day care, libraries etc. Beyond that , I as an agent have NO opinion about any neighborhood, and it is not legal to "steer" someone , so even if I did have a personal opinion i could not share it with you. I urge you to spend some time there and investigate as well to form your opinion. The only advice I have is that if you do like the West Village, , but find it too pricey for your budget, there are many other neighborhoods that you would also loke that are more affordable. Regarding "steering" , I "steer" clients to the most affordable neighborhoods according to market statistics,which usually means EVERYWHERE ABOVE 96th street,and the rest of the entire city except the "premium neighborhoods" of Brooklyn , which is mostly the western half closest to Manhattan.
Theahelfer,
Ther are reasons why a real estate agent cannot answer directly if a neighborhood is a "a good/safe neighborhood for a young family." There are rules about "steering" and about "fair housing." I would suggest you spend a little time in the West Village, and I think it will be readily apparant why this neighborhood enjoys the enormous popularity it does. In fact, it should only take 5 minutes.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
There are many wonderful areas of Manhattan. Real estate professionals are unable to steer you to certain neighborhoods, but will guide you to resources that provide the information that you may require in order to decide what is best for your family.

Feel free to reach out to me directly should you require and futher assistance in your real estate search.

Doug LaBrecque
GPS Real Estate
212-866-7934
917-292-5173
Dear Thea Helfer,

The main concern for most families with young children are good schools, proximity to cultural institutions like museums or parks, and the price of housing. Being close to good and easy transportation (buses, subways) is equally important if you don't live within walking distance from where you work.

The West Village with it's smaller charming buildings, and crooked treelined streets is absolutely lovely, but so are many other Manhattan neighborhoods where you might get a little more space for your $.

Most of NYC is very safe for a young family. You might want to look into the local crime state available via the different police precincts (link below).

Most of the West Side waterfront is now parks and playgrounds, from Battery park city to the UWS.

Even though the article below is talking about the larger NYC (Manhattan and the boroughs) it is interesting reading to someone new to the city.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/family-fri…

Best of luck with your move, and don't hesitate to reach out if you would like more information.

Filippa Edberg-Manuel
Associate Broker, CNE
TOWN West Village
filippa@townrealestate.com
Yes it is the best. I am raising 3 kids here!
I am looking at the question being asked from the viewpoint of the average renter who is relatively new to the New York Market.

While there are many parts to the question, the most evident answer is "No". Due to the high cost of living, and the premium on rental space, the West Village would not be a good place to raise a family. The West Village is Manhattan's most expensive Neighborhood. The cost of renting a family home in the neighborhood is astronomical.
Flag Sat Mar 14, 2015