Is it safe to live in Keller, TX as a gay couple?

Asked by Monica415, Keller, TX Thu Apr 26, 2012

My partner and I are relocating to the DFW area. We were looking at Keller, because of the low crime stats and great schools (although we don't have children, it will be good for resale value), but we are not sure if is safe for us as a gay couple. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you!

Answers

9
Ls, Home Owner, Keller, TX
Thu Apr 26, 2012
I am gay and I live in Keller. But my main question to you is, what are you planning on doing that would jeopardize your safety? Are you planning on walking down the street holding hands, showing affection in public, etc? Although I don't think you would have any problem doing that in Keller per say, there are always people around you that would object that behavior and therefore it would be in your best interest to withhold that type of affection to yourself.

If you are asking if you can live in a home together and will you be safe if your neighbors know your sexual orientation, yes you will probably be just fine, again as long as your neighbors are accepting. This is such a tough question, sorry that I am unable to provide a solid answer. At the end of the day, you are moving to Texas, not San Francisco, so just keep that in mind.

If you are at all interested in country dancing, or enjoying the nightlife as a gay couple, your best bet is Cedar Springs Rd. in Dallas. You will feel totally welcome, but it will be a good 40-45 minute drive for you from Keller.

If you end up coming to Keller, welcome - it's a nice town and I'm sure you'll be safe and enjoy your time here. :)
Thank you for your comment. We are not planning on doing anything that would jeopardize our safety. I was just wondering about Keller in general (neighbors). I keep my private life private, but the neighbors will know, since is going to be two women living together in a house. I was worried because I ofter hear people referring about north Texas as the Bible belt.
Flag Wed May 2, 2012
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Fri Apr 27, 2012
First of all welcome to Texas.

Great question, impossible to answer.
I would probably ask friends and family for their advice.
Realtors can't answer this question ethically, plus safety is always a relative term. It means different things to different people. Good and bad things happen everywhere.

As you mention, generally it is probably a low crime area compared to many others, most people probably move there for the great reputation of the schools, newer communities, and fair prices.

If we can assist you with your search, feel free to call us or check out the website below.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Apr 26, 2012
NOT a problem, Keller is a nice community AND entire DFW has not problem with gay couple. I have worked with many familes fit "right in "

Keller homes for sale Keller Tx
http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5130258

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
How will a lesbian couple who's have adopted African American twin girls? We are planning to move to Keller for the good schools but we don't want our girls bullied.
Flag Fri Mar 17, 2017
Lucy Puniwai, Agent, Haslet, TX
Thu Apr 26, 2012
Hey Monica!

FYI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax96cghOnY4

http://www.guidemag.com/Travel/fort-worth/PicsEvents

You don't need to travel to Dallas to have a fabulous quality of life!
Realtors are ethically bound to not make statements that could be considered
as "swaying" customers to or away from a neighborhood based on religious,
ethnicity or sexual orientation.

This being said, Texas has become more progressive than most folks know.
Yes - I have MANY dear friends that enjoy the Round Up and other establishments in the Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs area. However, there are many establishments in Fort Worth (as mentioned above) that offer the environment you may enjoy.

You have completed your own due diligence on the crime rates. GREAT FOR YOU! Keep in mind, sexual orientation is not a measurable statistic.

I am from Hawaii. I am proud to hail from a state that is known as the "melting pot" of the Pacific. I admire you for coming right out (no pun intended) and asking the question. The answers impact YOUR quality of life and this is first and foremost in my heart.

You contact me anytime for anything, whether I am your Realtor or not. Again, I personally welcome you to Texas!

Lucy A. Puniwai
REALTOR®
(214)783-6416 - Cell/TEXT
(682)224-8050 - Fax

puniwai@fathomrealty.com

http://www.fathomdallas.com/agents/6440-Lucy-Puniwai

In God we Trust
Jim Egert, , Keller, TX
Thu Apr 26, 2012
I'm sorry that I cant answer your question but feel free to ask if you would like any other help with your search.

Jim Egert
Keller Williams
MetroTex Association of REALTORS®
PFLAG
Cell:(817)470-6681
Fax: (817)251-1522
jamesvegert@gmail.com
Tommy Burris, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Baton Rouge, LA
Thu Apr 26, 2012
I think that you will find Texas very friendly. I have done loans for gay clients in similar areas and things went really well.

Let me know if I can refer you to a gay realtor here locally.
Maybe he can ease your fears a little about life as a gay person in DFW.

Good luck..... You're gonna love it here.

Tom Burris
Mortgage Banker
DallasLoanGuy.com
(214) 763-4629 cell/text/nights/weekends(Really!!)
tomburris@dallasloanguy.com
Lending all across the entire Great State of Texas!!
NMLS# 335055
Search Dallas area MLS for FREE. No registration => http://www.ntreisinnovia.net/cgi-ntr/BR_login?0501134
Brett Ashcra…, Agent, Keller, TX
Thu Apr 26, 2012
I would say Keller is about as safe as can be for anyone. We ave lived her for about 9 years and we love it. I know several gay couples that live in and around this area and I have not heard any complaints. I don't think it will be an issue..... Please let me know if I can help you find a home - please call me - 817-337-1199
Lucy Puniwai, Agent, Haslet, TX
Thu Apr 26, 2012
Gays, hetero - mutli-cultural - you are welcome in Keller. I personally welcome you to the area and offer to be YOUR Realtor!

Lucy A. Puniwai
REALTOR®
(214)783-6416 - Cell/TEXT
(682)224-8050 - Fax

puniwai@fathomrealty.com

In God we Trust
Mindy Lowry, Agent, Fort Worth, TX
Thu Apr 26, 2012
I am sorry that is not a question I can truly answer. If you have checked crime statistics than you have done exactly what I would have suggested. I have sold homes in the Keller area for 13 years and have many happy clients who live in there. There are lots of surrounding areas that have good values as well. I tell all of my clients to visit the area you are considering and see how comfortable you feel. Contact me and I can get you a list of homes daily as they come on the market that fit your criteria. I can answer other home buying questions you might have as well. I would be happy to help.

Mindy Lowry, 682-559-1246 cell
RE/MAX Heritage