Is a prison near a new home construction we would be buying a bad selling point and safety issue?

Asked by Nj Buyer, North Brunswick, NJ Fri Mar 9, 2012

We are planning to buy a new single family home in North Brunswick. The location, house everything is perfect. But there is a county jail which is less than a mile from the backyard of the house which is wooded. Is that a concern? Will it be a bad selling point that we are near a prison?

Answers

8
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Mar 9, 2012
I agree with Keith and Kinsey. It will affect some people.

Still, county jails are far less threatening (and generally house far less serious criminals) than do state prisons or federal prisons.

One other point, if you think about it, is that if someone does escape, they're going to want to get as far away from the jail as possible as quickly as possible. So someone who escapes (if that's the concern) is probably going to want to get beyond the jail and your location, not stick around.

Keith & Kins…, Agent, Verona, WI
Fri Mar 9, 2012
If this question is crossing your mind, it's going to cross other buyer's minds as well. So yes, it could make the home slightly harder to sell later. Although, a mile away is reasonable, It would not bother me as an owner. Can you see the prison from your house or yard? If so, that would hurt the value more.

I wouldn't say it's much of a safety issue. Prisons are generally pretty secure, and who wants to commit a crime with a large population of policy officers around. Just my opinions.
Gina Chirico, Agent, Fairfield, NJ
Sun Mar 11, 2012
NJ Buyer,

I agree with many of the responses below. Will it make it harder to sell? It may but just as you are choosing to buy this home, another buyer will too. Look at the other homes in the area? Are they occupied by owners? What's the value of their homes? Did they buy before or after the jail was built. Are homes selling? Is the market steady in the area? Declining?

The truth is that people buy homes near cemetaries, prisons, tension wires, schools, on main roads, on quiet streets, near light commercial zoning areas, etc.. Everyone chooses where they want to live and what works best for them based on their situation, price range, etc. I believe in the phrase, "there's a buyer for every home" and one day if and when you try to sell it, there will be a buyer for it then too. Will pricing be affected by its location? Maybe but pricing will also be determined by what the current market value is then too.

Unfortunately, its a big decision. However it is a decision that only you and/or your family can make. Write down the pros and cons and see which outweighs the other.

Pete Maimone, Agent, North Brunswick, NJ
Fri Mar 9, 2012
Nj the prison has been there for many years. As one person replied its a county jail and not hardened dangerous criminals. Very good security nonetheless also you should know that the Renaissance at north Brunswick community I'd right across the street. And prison is not hidden from its view. Renaissance has been one of the highest demand developments in Middlesex county and commands higher than avg prices. In other words close proximity to jail has had no impact on values outside of normal market influences. I live there myself :going on 10 years. Does the question about the jails presence come up? Yes occasionally but it's rare I work with tons on renaissance buyers every year and get this question once a year at best. Never saw any who asked not purchase because of it. Also I'm just guessing but the new home u mentioned is most likely near farrington lake which has million dollar
homes on it within thAt same I mile proximity. Same thing. Never saw any impact because of the jail. Your question is valid one but as I indicated herein not really something worry about feel free to reach out to me for further questions/concerns. Good luck !
Web Reference:  http://www.petemaimone.com
Nj Buyer, Home Buyer, North Brunswick, NJ
Fri Mar 9, 2012
Is there a weblink to check the stream classifications? I even thought that there is more security because of a prison nearby as there would be more police patrolling. But only thing in the future after 10 or 15 years when we are selling teh property and if the buyer would be concerned with a prison in 1 mile radius, we would have hard time selling it. That is the reason i posted teh question because rela estate agents would have dealt with such questions from curious buyers before.
Kenneth Verb…, Agent, PRINCETON, NJ
Fri Mar 9, 2012
If you are concerned so will others, maybe more, maybe less. You may also want to check into the stream as changes with DEP and classifications of some streams have severely changed what can be done around them and also the value of land near by.
Fri Mar 9, 2012
It is not visible at all from our backyard. There is lot of woods and a stream runs in between. There are too many properties there which are taxed high and selling high as well. There is a good demand. But we are not sure if it will be a selling point...
Lindsay Murr…, Agent, Hillsborough, NJ
Fri Mar 9, 2012
Location is something that cannot be changed, so that is something may come up again in the future.