Is West Roxbury a good area to live? how safe is it?

Asked by Michele, Mass City, MI Sun Jun 22, 2008

Is West Roxbury considered a high end area?

Answers

8
Magdalena, Renter, Cambridge, MA
Sun Jan 13, 2013
I grew up in West Roxbury, and still live there. It is a very safe town, and convenient both to Boston and the surrounding areas like Dedham, Needham, Westwood etc. I used to ride my bike everywhere as a kid without thinking twice. It's also nice that it is still a part of Boston with the feeling of a small town and has a lot of different commuter options.
Steve Casey, Agent, Walpole, MA
Thu Apr 7, 2011
Well yahhh!

Always has been. This is why it has not been unusual to politicians and department heads living in West Roxbury since early in the last century. Probably before that too.great community with many advantages.
Jan Crosby, , West Roxbury, Boston, MA
Wed Dec 1, 2010
I have been a broker in West Roxbury for twenty five years. I live on a beautiful tree lined street of Victorian era homes close to the center village .I walk often. I have raised three daughters in this community and have never been concerned about their safety when out at night. There are many community amenities for all ages.It is considered a high end area,although there are modest neighborhoods and surrounding towns with higher priced homes. Let me know when you will be visiting and i will give you a tour of west Roxbury and surrounding neighborhoods.
Jan Crosby
RE/MAX First
Newton, MA 02459
617-699-1668
Bee, , Walpole, MA
Tue Sep 15, 2009
I grew up in W. Rox. and loved the convenience . Bought my first home off Bellvue St. and remember walking with my first child in that lovely neighborhood. Most people were very friendly. Schools were always an issue ,even for my parents. My pocketbook and auto were stolen after I moved to Walpole, which by the way is not such a "friendly" town, neither is Westwood .I was a victim of crime twice in the suburbs. If your children can attend Latin or private schools you'll be fine. Lock your doors where ever you live or drive. I miss West Roxbury very much and wish I never lefted.
Andrea J. Me…, , 02481
Thu Jul 24, 2008
Dear Michel,
I grew up in West Roxbury and my parents are still there 40 some years later. My father too was a Boston police officer, now long retired and chose West Rox for the same reasons that Jenny mentions in her post. It is generally safe, there is reasonable access to Boston, highways are close, shopping access is good. WR does have a family feel to it, perhaps almost suburban. There is some mix to the housing stock as well, so you can hopefully find something you like. Areas such as Bellevue Hill and areas close to Brookline/Chestnut Hill are the higher end of the West Rox market. The neighborhoods between Centre St. and the Parkway are also very nice. Houses and lots are smaller on the side of WR closest to Dedham, lots of bungalows, capes and ranches, and are lower priced as a result. We are here if you have any questions. Best of luck in your search!
What do you think of 5140 Washington St
Boston, MA 02132? Safe?
Flag Wed Mar 16, 2016
Jenny, Home Buyer, HP
Tue Jul 22, 2008
You really cannot go wrong almost anywhere in West Roxbury. Hubby is a Boston cop and we are currently looking in West Roxbury for our first home (we are in an apt now), since we have to live in Boston. For the most part, its quiet and family oriented, yet still within easy access of routes to downtown and major highways. Safe, too. (Its not anything like "Roxbury", which has it's own reputation).
Michael Lefe…, Agent, Westborough, MA
Sun Jun 22, 2008
West Roxbury is a nice suburban area of The City of Boston. My wife and I bought our first home there after graduating from college because we felt it was still "the city" but offered some nice quasi-suburban features as well. Bellevue Hill (the neighborhood south of Centre Street, between Lagrange and the West Roxbury Parkway) is one of my favorite areas of West Roxbury. Beautifully restored Victorians, tree lined streets and easy access to shopping and commuting options. I would say it is considered one of the higher end neighborhoods of The City of Boston. It's not Beacon Hill, the South End or the Back Bay, but it definitely is one of the nicer areas and has more of a almost suburban community feel to it. We enjoyed living there and never felt unsafe. We only moved because we had some kids and wanted a little more yard to stretch out in and a 2-car garage. We still have a lot of friends who live there and really love it. Sometimes, living in the "sticks", I do miss the convenience of being able to jump into downtown Boston in no time flat. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to hear more about my personal experience living there. I've got nothing negative to say about West Roxbury.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Sun Jun 22, 2008
Look right here on trulia for crimes stats, scroll to bottom of page and click "crime":
http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/West_Roxbury-Massachusetts/

http://outside.in/West_Roxbury_Boston_MA/tags/crime

In terms of the value and proximity to areas of high value, the closer you get to brookline the better. Check out these examples:
http://www.territoryre.com/idx/listings/70722725/details.html

http://www.territoryre.com/idx/listings/70590111/details.html

Hope that helps!