Is Virginia Beach a good place to raise family?

Asked by godinezsj, Harrisburg, PA Fri Jan 17, 2014

Answers

15
Virginia Ser…, , Virginia Beach, VA
Sat Jan 18, 2014
In my opinion, it is! I know, I know, a real estate agent saying that her city is a great place...but it really is true. I moved from New Jersey to down here and I love it. It's really big (in fact, it's the biggest city in VA) and it has nearly everything you can imagine. Great rec centers, parks everywhere, a HUGE state nature park (First Landing), and aquarium, the longest pleasure-beach in America...the list goes on. The schools are great too.

People are very friendly down here and the area is a mixture of locals and transient families- there's lots of military here and people like me who can't take the cold anymore. :)

I'm very much looking forward to raising my own family here someday. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Virginia
Hank Wilson, Agent, Bowling Green, KY
Wed Feb 26, 2014
I am originally from the area and I can honestly say while some areas have gone downhill, it is still a very beautiful beach town with lots to do and plenty of nice people. I currently have family, rasing family there with no issues. Enjoying life and the beach.
anonymously, , Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Feb 26, 2014
The place is a pit. Tons of drugs, gangs and horrible amount of segregation. I escaped and will never return, especially with children.
Karl Kuehner, Agent, CHESAPEAKE, VA
Sat Jan 18, 2014
Virginia Beach is a fantastic place to raise a family. Some of the best schools in the area are located in the Virginia Beach School system and Virginia Beach offers a multitude of family oriented recreational activities. Virginia Beach has many good residential neighborhoods and much of the real estate is very reasonably priced. Virginia Beach is much more than just a "beach community". It is geographically spread over a large area and incorporates urbane, suburban, and country living. The area has many employment opportunities and is culturally diverse.
Gina O'Clair, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Sat Jan 18, 2014
Good morning! Virginia Beach is a terrific place to raise your family, it is where I have chosen to raise mine. The schools are clean and we'll kept, the teachers are professional and parent oriented, and our crime rate is low. This beautiful city also offers many family themed events and places to go so you don't ever have to be bored!
If I can be of any service for anything please feel free to contact me as I was once in your shoes as a "newbie". 7572029109 or ginaoclair@williamewood.com.
Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.
Jon Hartz, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Fri Jan 17, 2014
Welcome to Virginia Beach! Not only is it a great place to visit, it's a great place to live, and an awesome place to raise a family. I have lived in Virginia Beach all of my life. From the oceanfront to the New Town Center, I've seen it all. I little bit you may not know, Virginia Beach was in the top 20 for being one of the healthiest and cleanest cities. The schools are great as well. Neighborhoods, let me just say my parents have lived in the same neighborhood for over 40 years.
We'd love to have you: Check out http://www.realestate.virginiabeachhomestore.com to learn more.

Welcome welcome!!!!
KK German, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Fri Jan 17, 2014
I had to visit Harrisburg PA a few times when I worked for a property management company. The difference between here and Harrisburg is night and day.
When I was a teenager I dreamed about Virginia Beach. When I joined the Army they sent me to the School of Music at the Little Creek Amphibious Base. Won't mention the year here, lol, but it was in the 1970's. :)
After the Army I lived in Norfolk for a bit but I wanted to live in Virginia Beach. When my oldest was 6 years old we moved to Virginia Beach and I raised the next two that came along in Va Beach.
I love it here. It has a suburban feel but in the south of Virginia Beach we have a lot of farms. There are a lot of farmers markets and locally grown produce. There are many events like free outdoor concerts in the summertime. There is shopping available everywhere.
I help renters or buyers, so if you have more specific questions or need help shoot me an email.
Good luck! KK German, Wainwright Real Estate
Web Reference:  http://www.kkgerman.com
Zald, , Keyes, CA
Fri Jan 17, 2014
I moved from Erie, PA and I love it here. Before I moved here, me and my daughter came down on vacation to check out the place. We both loved it and just moved.
We are happier with the weather, the location, the beach.
Send me an email and I will send you the link for the city info.
sweethomesinva@gmail.com
Debbie Blank…, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Fri Jan 17, 2014
I moved here almost 10 years ago from the DC area, originally from Baltimore. There are pluses and minuses, but overall I enjoy the mild winters, and it is now home. I found a web site that may help: http://www.areavibes.com/virginia+beach-va/livability/, but I'm sure you've already done some online research. I'll be glad to talk with you further. Debbie Blankman, The Real Estate Group 757.636.8640
Beth Lynch, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Fri Jan 17, 2014
Hi, my name is Beth Lynch. I was in your spot over 15 years ago! I joined the navy and came here! I have been married to military now for 15 years and raised my two children here as well. As with every city there are ups and downs of neighborhoods! But with the right leverage and knowledge you can find the right place and group of people! It he schools are great and there is plenty around to keep yourself entertained! From nightlife to family oriented events. The beach in the summer and close enough to get to snow! I have been to PA many times! It is beautiful! If you need help looking around and seeing what we have to offer please don't hesitate to ask! I would love to help! Beth.lynch@hamiltonsrealty.com
Thomas Brown, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Tue Jun 20, 2017
Virginia beach is in a growth spurt, and is working hard to make it a nice place to raise a family,
Thomas Cogan…, Home Buyer, Temple, GA
Tue Mar 31, 2015
How is the job market for general contractors, and tile setters in Virginia beach?
Don Maclary, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Sun Feb 16, 2014
One of the best! Virginia Beach thrives on being a Family Friendly Town, for more go to http://chooseahomenow.com/virginia-beach-virginia-homes-for-sale-2
Ben Mills, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Sun Jan 19, 2014
Virginia Beach is without a doubt a great place to raise a family!

For one, we have a low crime rate compared to cities with populations over 100k people. The police are very responsive should the need arise.

We have an extraordinary public school system which offers the International Baccalaureate Program and unique specialization. One high school is known for Art, another for medical, another for languages for example.

We have an extensive recreation system which is extremely affordable say less than $200 a year for the family.

Of course we have the beach, fishing piers, and State Parks all within 30 minutes. Busch Gardens is 45-50 minutes. Shopping is super convenient and the area as a whole is relatively newer compared to the neighboring cities.

We have the benefit of having alot of military families here which brings diversity, culture, and great ideas.

Its really awesome!
Yaitza Cante…, , Virginia Beach, VA
Fri Jan 17, 2014
Absolutely!
I'm a hometown girl transplanted here from Puerto Rico back in 1989. I love it here.
We get the best of all four seasons and, yes, we do get snow just not like PA! There's three beaches to choose from: Oceanfront, Sandbridge, and Chick's Beach. There's lots for kids to do here too. Take them to Mt. Trashmore for a picnic and visit Kids Cove ... a park just the right size for kids. Visit the Virginia Aquarium for marine exploration. Most neighborhoods have parks. Some of the best schools and hospitals here too. We've got Ocean Breeze waterpark and even go-karting at Motor World! There's relatively low traffic for the most part unless you're traveling out of the city, through a tunnel, or during rush hour. Most subdivisions are really close-knit communities where everyone gets to know each other, several have civic leagues for community involvement. It's received several designations too. Here's an article from our local newspaper about them. I have a 2 year old son and am happy to have started a family here. If you're looking for a local reference to get you familiar with the area, help with relocation info including schools, or just to chat with I am here to help! Feel free to email me at Yaitza.Canterbury@HamiltonsRealty.com or here through Trulia! Hope to work with you soon :)

lahttp://www.vbgov.com/news/pages/selected.aspx?release=573
looking to move there credit is not too good. junior7811@gmail.com. looking for a 2br apartment, also moving from new jersey. thanks in advance
Flag Fri Jan 29, 2016
Thank you! Yes, we want away from this snow! So glad you mentioned an aquarium, my husband and I were just talking about looking into where the closest one is to Virginia Beach.
Flag Fri Jan 17, 2014