In rental properties in this area, who typically pays for water and garbage, owner or renter?

Asked by Sándor Lau, Eugene, OR Sun May 31, 2009

Answers

2
Music 4 Me, , Sacramento, CA
Tue Nov 10, 2009
I have found that it varies from property to property and property manager to property manager. As the owner of a house that is rented, I wanted to charge my tenants water, sewer and trash, but my property manager talked me out of it. They pointed out that if the tenant doesn't pay the bills, the delinquency notices just go to the rental house. There could be a lien on the property before you ever know the tenants are not paying the bills and that would affect your credit rating. Also, it is common in this area for the owner to pay these expenses though tenants have to pay them in other areas, like San Francisco. The owner is ultimately responsible, so why not include it and make the rent higher accordingly? This has worked for me.
Ed Favinger, Agent, Folsom, CA
Mon Jun 1, 2009
Sandor...

I'm an "income and investment" specialist here and also have a Property Management business...

The answer to your question..? Depends upon the type of property and the market.

On a single family home here, I am seeing fewer and fewer owners willing to pay for the water, sewer and garbage... There is a bit of a glut of rental homes in the area now, so you might have to be careful in asking for the tenants to pay this.. if you are asking top dollar rents, because of the competition in the market.....

Now on Duplexes and multiple units there is only one water meter so there would be some difficulty getting the tenants to pay this... EXCEPT in Roseville. In Roseville, they have their own power company and you are allowed to have the water, sewer and garbage bills added to a tenants "utility" bills...

I hope this helps...