If I'm working downtown, what is the commute like from the Marina?

Asked by Christina Chen, San Francisco, CA Thu Oct 13, 2011

What are the options? How long does it take? Is it walkable?

Answers

2
Brian Rothen…, , 94123
Tue Nov 8, 2011
From the Marina, your best bet is to take the 30x which is an express bus that stops along Chestnut Street, and then again in the Financial District. It's about a 20-30 minute ride depending on your stop(s) and traffic. The downsides are that it can be very crowded at peak times, and the last bus out in the morning is 9:12am, and the last express bus home is around 6:30pm (which I find to be a bit early). If you miss the last express bus home, you can take the regular 30, but it takes about 35-40 minutes.

I walked home the other day, but it was about 3 miles, so probably not a round trip you want to make every day.
Cristin Zweig, Home Owner, San Francisco, CA
Tue Nov 8, 2011
Building on Brian's answer, the commute can be tough if you live closer to Van Ness and you're hoping to take the 30x downtown. By the time the bus reaches Octavia, Gough or Franklin streets, it's usually too full and drives past you. I would recommend factoring in 10-20 minutes into your morning to either walk a few blocks down Chestnut to an earlier stop or to allow for a few buses to pass you by before you can find room and squeeze on one.