General Area in Chicago>Question Details

Araceli Arias, Renter in Chicago, IL

I want to live in downtown but will have to commute to Mettawa. What would be the best location? I'm looking for an area with diversity.

Asked by Araceli Arias, Chicago, IL Tue Mar 12, 2013

Araceli, in what neighborhood did you land and how was the commute. I am looking to commute to Mettawa (likely by car) and live in Downtown Chicago (Near North). Google maps is showing as 40 mins without traffic, but all responses to your estimated the commute at double the time. Obviously this concerns me.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2014
Hi Araceli!

Just something to keep in mind: I live in Downtown and my husband works in Mettawa. It is a two hours and a half commute by train or one hour and a half by car.
But if you want live in Chicago you probably wanna be in the middle of everything. Considering that, Gold Coast, Streeterville, Lakeshore East, Lincoln Park and Lakeview could be good options.

If you are going to commute by train, a good option is to live close from some of the buses lines that take you directly to Union Station. You will have to leave home around 6am to arrive at the work at 9am, so you will not want to do a transfer so early in the morning.
If you are going to drive to work, I definitely would take a look to any property near the lake. I wouldn't compromise the neighborhood for 10 minutes less on the commute. Another thing to keep in mind is that you will have to pay an additional $200 (more or less) for parking in any of the neighborhoods I mentioned and parking in street is almost impossible in any of them, even if the realtor tells you the opposite.

From the neighborhoods above, I believe that Lakeshore East is the most expensive, as the buildings are newer, the other ones are pretty similar.

Also, before you take your final decision, take a look at to see the reviews from the building. Just type the address and you will find that, there are some buildings that seems amazing, but have severe management problems.

Oh my this will be some commute, how will you be commuting, I hope train....
Then you want to look to be as close as possible to the train station that brings you up to Mettawa
easily..... But you will no matter what have a really long commute....

I am assuming work is in Chicago, where exactly, that would help....

If you have to stay in Mettawa and I am sure you have a good reason for that, but if you need to drive
to the city, then you will need to be close to the Hwy, but remember it will be a long drive and sometimes
a very slow drive....

If you could change your residency from Mettawa closer to the city, you may find some nice diverse
areas, how about living in Evanston, or Skokie and then commuting to the city.... We may not have
enough details about your situation and your needs, Feel free to contact me with further details that
way we may be able to provide you with better advice.
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more or
Check out my website at
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
That is a very, very long commute if you are taking public transit. You would want to be anywhere near a Metra stop if that is the case, but expect to spend 2 to 3 hours each way commuting.

If you are driving, just try and live somewhere close to the 90, but if you wish to live downtown, expect to pay a premium for that parking space.

That is a long commute from anywhere in Chicago. I think Milwaukee might be a quicker drive. Even with no traffic your drive will be over an hour and more likely to be 1.5-2 hours. If city life is what you want, I would start looking for a new job. Evanton has alot going on, you can take the "L" downtown and your commute will only be about an hour to Mettawa.

Ivan Sagel
The best thing would be to pick an location that is close to Metra or Expressways. You have to figure how much commuting you would like to do. It is a lot of great areas downtown or near downtown. For additional contact Siobhan at 7735441484. Have a great day!
Hi Araceli,

There's plenty of great areas downtown, but It all depends on your budget and needs. Feel free to contact me at anytime and we can explore the options available.

Jose Hernandez
I believe the Metra goes to Mettawa so near the main station downtown would be easiest. West Loop/Greektown/S Loop/parts of River North.
Are you going to take Metra or drive? Downtown is close to expressways. If you are taking Metra, move close to a metra station that goes to Mettawa. Wherever that is. I hope you aren't one of those people from the burbs who think anything in the city limits is somehow defined as "Downtown". By downtown I assume you mean, Loop, Gold Coast, Streeterville,etc.
As long as you can handle the commute, there are many options available to you depending on your budget.
Very good question! I would recommend working with an agent, take a look at Trulia's listing here:

Hope this helps,
Ali, Community manager
I would need much more information to give you the best answer. feel free to call or email me back.
This is a process that needs to start with an interview to help you decide what your priorities are and what you can afford.
Feel free to call (773) 732-9123 or write me back,
10- 15 minutes on the phone would be a good start.

make that
Flag Tue Mar 12, 2013