I want to buy a new construction condo in Harlem but i am worried about the rodent/roach problem in the city. Will this be a problem in new bldgs?

Asked by Lpaige, 10027 Thu Feb 25, 2010

rodents
pests
new construction
Central Harlem

Answers

7
Fern Hamberg…, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Sep 19, 2010
The good news is it is the best time to buy since interest rate is so low!!

New buildings tend to be cleaner then old buildings especially new constructions. And if you live in any apartments in the city, a good management tend to have exterminators at your disposal at least once a month! A lot of people live in the city and it all depends how the managemnt maintains their buildings and how you as a tenant keep your apartment clen!!
So if you wish to buy a new or old condo unit, go for it!!! and good luck!!
If you need a local broker, I will be able to help you too!!
fhamberger@citi-habitats.com
Mitchell Hall, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Feb 25, 2010
In my opinion new construction usually has less of a problem than older buildings. During excavation and construction they run a way. They tend to inhabit places where there is moisture and food. Where people live and where many different people have lived for many years. It takes time to infest a building.

If you're worried about a problem in new construction don't buy a condo with retail space below that may lease or sell to a supermarket, food shop, restaurant etc that may attract the pests.

There are many new developments in Harlem and now is a good time to buy.

Good Luck

Mitchell Hall
Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
917-312-0924
mhall@corcoran.com
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Lpaige,
As far as a "rodent/roach problem in the city," I don't know of anyone in any neighborhood who has had this in recent years. There are so many remedies these days, that I have not heard of it as a concern. I have heard of a bedbug problem in the media, though I don't know anyone who personally has had this problem.
New developments have lots of construction standards to adhere to in order to pass their inspections. So I would say a new development is not at any greater risk than any other building for any of these problems.

It is actually a great time to buy in Harlem. There are very good deals there, as the new developments that have not sold out are certainly looking to sell the remaining units. I would also strongly suggest you use an experienced buyer's agent. We are able to streamline your search, negotiate on your behalf (and in the case of new developments ask for concessions you might not even know about) and take you through each step to a successful conclusion.

Jenet Levy
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
James, , New York, NY
Thu Feb 25, 2010
My name is James Lehrieder with New York Living Solutions realty and I think it is a perfect time to buy. Prices are flexible interest is still low and the credits are still available for first time and second time buyers
what are you looking for ? i have a small team of 4 and we get things done right the first time so give us a call and we will fine your i deal home for you. as for your question on Roaches and Rodents are common suburbs but you and the Management must stay on top of thing or it can/will get out of hand BUT i have been dealing for the last 4/5 years ONLY with New Construction building from NYC / NJ/ Bron /Harlem /Westchester and i have NEVER had a client come back to me about rodent/roach problem
but there a first time for eveything .
good luck

James lehrieder
914)450.5116. or (646)943.1610
34 east 20th
New york ny 10003
jlehrieder@nyls.net
Web Reference:  http://www.nyls.net
Monica K Pin…, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Hi, Lpaige!
Thank you for your question.
I'm sure you know, in any major metropolitan city, along with certain small towns, there will be rodents & insects of all types. Harlem has not been singled out specifically within the New York City area as having a large roach/ rodent issue. If there'd be any issue, it would be with the upkeep of individual buildings and the tenants who occupy that building.

Due to updated City Codes, most buildings have been brought uptodate and have sealed the foundations & lower floors where little critters have been know to infiltrate. You'll be glad to know there have been no large infestation cases within the area for a number of years. At least, there have been none recent to my knowledge and I have been back in Harlem for the past two years. I've actually been quite impressed with showing laundry rooms in the basements of many tenement buildings.

If it is new construction you desire, then unwanted pests should be the least of your worries. There are several new developments throughout the Harlem region. Do you have a particular area you prefer? When would you be available to view some? I'd be happy to give you the tour.

Please feel free to contact me if you do not have a representative, currently.

Thank you, again, for your inquiry. It's been a minute since I'd spoken on rodents. (smile)
Monica

Monica K Pindle
Licensed Real Estate Professional
mkpindle4jc@yahoo.com
917.674.7487
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Unfortunately, pests are a common problem-- no matter new construction or not, and pests are not limited to certain areas, they exist all over--if you need reassurance find out what precautions are in place, how often an exterminator is called, etc.
Pascual Paul…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Roaches and Rodents are common even in the suburbs and in desolated area's, if not properly address. It is up to the owner to plug the proper entrances and take the proper procautions. I have seem roaches even in the best places and hotels, but I have none at my home because of what I have done to prevent them. They don't run in geographic area's and have no way of reading.
Web Reference:  http://PaulMVPteam.com