I see houses listed for rent for less than $500/month. Are these properties real or is this just marketing and advertising?

Asked by Jason, Las Vegas, NV Sun Apr 8, 2012

I am exploring an option to relocate to Las Vegas for 6 months (possibly more if my project goes well). So I am looking for a decent, but inexpensive (and very safe) place to rent. I would prefer not to share walls with neighbors.

Answers

15
, ,
Thu Mar 12, 2015
I'm a local property manager and Ive seen and even managed a few that are at $500.00 or less. So yes they do exist. For the most part not in the most desired areas. Areas that you wouldn't like to be in after dark
The Graveline…, Agent, Longmeadow, MA
Mon Mar 9, 2015
Understand that ANYONE can post a rental. Trulia is only displaying 3rd party info, and there are ways for scammers to post fake listings on other websites which then get mirrored on trulia, zillow, realtor, etx.. When a deal seems too good to be true, it is.. ALWAYS verify EVERYTHING you see online with a local Realtor. Realtors adhere to a strict code of ethics which offers you consumer protection and piece of mind. Flag the listings and email fraud@trulia.com Browse the agent directory to find a well reviewed local Realtor.
Team Tiffee, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Mar 5, 2015
While there are in fact properties, which range from a few hundred to several thousands in the Las Vegas Area, I would be cautious and either do your "Due diligence" or seek the assistance and support of a licensed agent.

Let me know if you have more questions or need some expert assistance.

Craig Tiffee
Real Estate Masters, LLC.
(702) 785-8240
craigsells702@gmail.com
http://www.craigsells.com
Mike Parish, Agent, Henderson, NV
Sun Feb 22, 2015
Homes being offered for rent at a rate of $500 or, candidly, less than $750 per month (within the Greater Las Vegas Area) are most CERTAINLY a scam. Whether they are in foreclosure, being offered for short sale, tied-up in a bankruptcy, or simply don't exist; there is a reason they look "too good to be true". A good rule of thumb is to look at what apartments rent for within a given area and then compare that to house rentals. Seldom, but on occasion, you'll find apartment rents higher than home rents. More often than not, homes rent for more. Why? Because those who live in apartments want to live in a house. There are expenses which accompany home rental but do not accompany some apartment rentals (perhaps: water, sewer, trash, lawn/pool maintenance, cable, Internet, etc.) and these stand as a potential barrier to renters; however, landlords are seldom concerned with such expenses. The landlord (of a home) is mostly concerned with Mortgage, property taxes, home owner's insurance, etc. Rents will ALMOST ALWAYS out-pace the cost of ownership (monthly) unless the given market is experiencing tremendous appreciation (valuation) which encourages some landlords to rent below "market" figuring they will make up the $$ lost on potential rent by offsetting it with the appreciation (value) the property experiences during the rental period. Hopefully this info is helpful to you. God bless.
Evelyn Mejia, Renter, New York, NY
Sat Feb 21, 2015
Scam make sure you get a really AGENT To many scams in trulia and the company do nothing about it
, ,
Thu Feb 19, 2015
Hi Bonnie,

Yes there are units for lease at prices of $500.00

While I only have a few there are properties out there for that price.

if you would like to take a look at some of the properties I have available please let me know.

Becky Cordova
702-612-1584
Bonnie Peopl…, Home Buyer, New Port Richey, FL
Wed Feb 18, 2015
I an looking for a 3 b 1 bath for 400 to 500 in new port richey fl if any body can please help thank you an have a nice day
Renee Burrows, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Mon Apr 9, 2012
It depends on what area of town you want to be in. Condos (shared walls) are VERY inexpensive to rent right now because so many investors are purchasing them & the rental market is a little flooded with them. You can browse house rentals at my site linked below!
Nakia Woodson, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Hello, if properties are being listed at that amount. They are either a single or one bedroom or in a not so safe neighborhood or both. Please contact me and I can locate you reasonably priced rentals.

Nakia Woodson
702-318-1244
NakiaWoodson@yahoo.com
--
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Lots of good answers already. I don't know Las Vegas, so I can't really comment on whether there are many such properties: Suzie and Charlotte say yes, so I'd assume there are.

Still, as noted, watch out for scams. Especially ones where you don't meet the owner (he's "overseas") but if you wire him the money, he'll send you the keys. Don't ever do that.

One other possibility: You may be seeing ads for room rentals. I see that sometimes even on our MLS. If you read the listing closely, it turns out that the $500 or so isn't for an entire property, but for a bedroom and other shared facilities.

Best advice: Find a good Realtor to work with.

Linda S. Cef…, Agent, Franklin, WI
Sun Apr 8, 2012
There are many properties still under water in Las Vegas, so I guess it is possible, but not probable. Listen to the agents who came before me and do your homework. And please be careful as there are many scammers out there right now specifically targeting renters. Perhaps Matt and Kim would be a good start for you.
Tracey Frink, , Las Vegas, NV
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Someones blowing smoke up your skirt.
Matthew D'Er…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Please get with a real estate agent like my wife and I to help you find real homes, real deals that are safe from scam or foreclosure. Nice homes in nice areas start at 850 - 900 and go up fast from there. We are property management company with over 350 homes under management. We know this business well.

Matthew D’Ercole
One Source Realty and Management
Cell - 702.501.0973
"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves".
Know the Constitution & Bill of Rights.
Website - http://matthewsellslasvegas.las.mlxchange.com
Charlotte Ba…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sun Apr 8, 2012
While there homes to rent at this low price you need to make sure they're in a safe neighborhood like you mentioned, or are not scams (non owners renting out an abandoned or foreclosure). This is why working with a realtor is so very important - we know the areas and what to watch for. Is your relocation job related? You will want to be close to your work. Children?? Amenities you want? If you contact me directly I will be glad to find exactly what you are looking for.
Charlottewintch@aol.com
Suzie Marqua…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sun Apr 8, 2012
There are properties that rent for that amount. Send me a few and i will check them out for you. It often depends on the area of town that the property is listed in. I have clients who are purchasing home with not much more than that amount for a payment. I am always available to help. Contact me and we can talk.
Thank You
Suzie Marquardt
Realty One Group
fahrnyteam@yahoo.com
702-234-7653
http://www.LasVegasRealEstators.com
http://www.FaceBook.com/Fahrnyteam