I own and rent out a condo to a wonderful tenant who is now leaving because of mice in her unit. I have sent a pest control person to the unit but

Asked by Virgilee, Denver, CO Wed Apr 28, 2010

there are mice in the units next to hers and the management company of the condo building is indifferent to the problem. How can I control the mice problem in my unit so I con rent the condo out with a clear conscious.?

Answers

11
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Sat Nov 30, 2013
Virgilee: Hopefully you got this issue resolved a long time ago. But, to others who have had problems convincing management companies to take action, I would offer the following advice:

SOME (and I emphasize the word "some") management companies seem to have a policy of ignoring the first complaint, or first several complaints, about any issue. They know probably 60 percent of reported problems will be worked out without their intervention. So the squeaky-wheel rule applies for these companies. You must keep calling them, keep documenting the problem and contact as many people as possible. Members of this sub-group of companies usually handle the problems that don't go away.

Ron Rovtar
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
Real Estate of the Rockies
Christine Ni…, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri Nov 29, 2013
Since you have said you own this condo, contacting the HOA should be your next move. The HOA hires the management company, and as others have mentioned below, the health department should be notified as this is a public health issue. It will likely take time, on your part, to get the HOA on top of this but appeal to the other homeowners as problems like this are lessening everyones property values within the building.

Additionally, the Division of Regulatory Agencies for Colorado (DORA) has a resource page for HOA's http://cdn.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DORA-DRE/CBON/DORA/1251… You might be able to find additional help there. Best of luck!
the question was asked 3.5 years ago!
Flag Fri Nov 29, 2013
Kimberly Ryan, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Sun May 2, 2010
Virgilee-
Perhaps you could call the City of Denver-health dept and report the mgmt company. it just might get the mgmt. to "take notice"
Kimberly Ryan
Keller Williams
SwanRealtorGroup.com
303-523-8333
Chris Merman, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu Apr 29, 2010
I would make sure you document and disclose to any new tenants that you have attempted to mitigate the mouse problem. The last thing you want is an angry tenant that claims that you have not been a landlord that is not willing to take care of problems as they occur. Other then that, getting together with the other owners of adjacent units on the issue is the best way to begin to resolve it. Also, make sure this effort is well documented too. Disclosure is always the best policy to avoid future problems or litigation. If you need any other advice please feel free to call me at 303 358 4294. I own and manage rental units throughout Denver and have seen my share of tenant issues. Good luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.chrismerman.com
Kmbrennan, , Florida
Thu Apr 29, 2010
Virgilee,
Typically pest control is an HOA paid issue and should be covered by the association. If they will not act promptly from a call to the property management company be sure to be at the next HOA meeting with the exterminators estimate and/or opinion letter.
Also rent the unit furnished with a cat.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Apr 29, 2010
As the others say, this is a problem that involves multiple units. And it's really not just going to be the unit next to yours, either. The pest control people will tell you that unless you can eliminate them throughout the building, that you're really just going to be moving them from one unit to another.

And the problem you've run into with the management company isn't uncommon. Even though the mice are traveling through (and probably living in) the common areas--behind the walls--it's sometimes difficult to get condos to act. (Until the president of the condo association ends up with mice in his/her unit. Then you'll see some action!) But if a group of owners can get together, they may be able to persuade the condo board to agree to some building-wide action.

Brian Burke, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Thu Apr 29, 2010
I think you need to get in touch with the owner of the unit next to your and join forces against the mice. The will never go away and then you have to disclose you have mice and who is going to rent a Mouse Pad? Like the first question said this is a question for a pest control guy.
Brian
Bradley Eich, Agent, Evergreen, CO
Wed Apr 28, 2010
Keep it simple. Do your best to minimize the rodant problem in your unit and disclose the problem prior to signing the new lease. You will be suprised who will rent.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Apr 28, 2010
You might want to get other unit owners on your side - I'm sure they will be horrified to find this out........go to an open board or association meeting or send out notices to other residents. If you can all put pressure on management, you might get somewhere faster.

Now, here's the thing..............you might need to read your bylaws, though, as in my townhome community's bylaws, I am responsible for any pest infestation.

As far as controlling the problem in your unit, as Ron mentioned, that is difficult. You can make a visual inspection and caulk any small openings - the little critters only need 1/4 inch to squeeze through. You can buy pellet bait (poison) that comes in little containers, and you just leave them hidden under a couch, or under the sink or behind the fridge. The mice are attracted to the bait as food, eat it and go off to die peacefully in their sleep (that's how I'd like to think it happens! ). Home depot sells this poison and other contraptions.

A call to a local pest control company is needed for sure.
Robert McGui…, Agent, Denver, CO
Wed Apr 28, 2010
Virginia,

I am not a condo or HOA expert; but I would get some legal advice about how that is handled. Also you may want to see if the people next door would be willing to split the costs to get the mice problem solved. Hopefully, the people next door to your unit are not indifferent to the problem. Good luck with getting this resolved. I have used Ace Pest Control before with succes in getting thes kinds of problems resolved.

Robert McGuire ASR
Real Estate Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
http://www.rmcguire.yourcastle.org
Direct: 303-669-1246
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Wed Apr 28, 2010
This is a question for a pest control expert. The problem is that mice, like many pests don't stay put. They move around inside the walls and can force their little bodies through some very small holes around plumbing and other parts of the mechanical systems. As a result, they can move between apartments. You may have to lean on the management company a little harder to get them involved. If the problem is severe (or bad and getting worse) there may be rules in your city. You might want to call the local health officials since mice can carry disease.

Ron Rovtar