General Area in Portland>Question Details

Garnetgirl, Renter in Portland, OR

I'm moving to Portland from Brooklyn, NY - specifically Park Slope. Which Portland neighborhoods are similar?

Asked by Garnetgirl, Portland, OR Tue Jan 4, 2011

By similar I mean artsy, 30 something couples, no chains, charming old architecture, 15 mins or less on public transit to downtown, very walkable, small locally owned restaurants, boutiques, bookstores, thrift stores etc...

Answers

9
Hey Garnetgirl, BIG move!

I wish you the best of luck in your move, Mack seems to have his finger on the pulse, If you have not found someone, give him a shout. As a former Brooklyn native moving to New Jersey was tough.. Portland would prbably kill me. ( Brooklyn icanhaveeverythingIwantwhenIwantitwise)

Anyway, if you need a "very good" moving company this is the onloy compnay I trust and have moved my clients to San Francisco, Portland, Arizona, Florida.. and a whole bunch of other places, they are the best and most reliable company that I have come across.

Wheaton Van Lines - All Brunswick Van Lines - 732-247-1881

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 7, 2011
Mark, Heather, I think that the Park Blocks and NW around 21st also have a feel close to Park Slope, from my perspective as a born-and-raised NYCer with strong ties to Portland.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 6, 2011
I also agree with the Hawthorne but think the Pearl would be a good fit. The area right down on the river by OHSU extension or any of the loft type housing up in the single number streets around the heart of the city would be perfect. Again, you didnt specify renting or buying. Portland is a interesting city. Similar to an organic cell, it has a main body incasing smaller, almost self contained areas with very unique properties and personalities. I FULLY recommend moving here to an inexpensive rental and learning the lay of the land before buying, if thats your intention. It may cost more in total , especially if you dont store most of your belongings and have to pay double moving fees. If thats not an option then speak with a local broker and have pictures, features, proximities to desired amenities (parks, nightlife, etc.) sent to you to get an idea of whats going on. At the very least , if you can afford it, take a flight out here and stay a week or so looking around. I wish I had done that before moving here from Calif years ago.
You didnt specify if you are going to rent or purchase?
Portland is eclectic and diverse to say the least there is a wide range of styles and personalities. The NW 21st / Pearl area hosts some great architecture from Victorian to brownstone-vibed units as well as some lofts. I am a city girl at heart and a Portland Native and if I had the luxury of a urban lifestyle it would so be in this area. Price range would really make it or break and if you are need of a lender I would be happy to help.

Regardless welcome... you will love it here!
I haven't spent any time in Brooklyn, but answering your question is still very easy. Neighborhoods that meet your description include: Alberta: Belmont: Hawthorne: Hollywood: Sellwood: Woodstock: Mississippi: Sabin: Beaumont: Pearl. I live in Hollywood District.

Artsy is what Portland does!

The area you pick depends on your price range and whether you prefer a hippy, modern, yuppie, or touristy slant to your art scene. They are all walkable with fantastic shops and cafes. I keep a blog going on our Portland cafes.

The area also depends on the era of homes you prefer: 1890's, 1910's, etc. Each decade has distinct features.

I can talk about this stuff all day.
From your description of what you like I think the Hawthorne neighborhood would be a good fit. It's one of the most exciting parts of Portland, extremely walkable, great old Portland houses and amazing restaurants. I frequent this part of town in search of good food and a great friendly atmosphere.
Welcome~ What a huge move! Their are several great neighborhoods that would fit! The best bet is to make a trip and check out the different neighborhoods. They are all unique! Check out http://www.portlandneighborhood.com you can check out the descriptions of the different neighborhoods. Then if you want to check out how walkable the neighborhood is, visit http://www.walkscore.com/OR/Portland Great resources. Portland has great transportation also! Very easy to communte around this city! I wish you luck with your move.

Heather
503-975-3483
If you are not familiar with the area, do consider a visit or two, and familiarize yourself with all Portland, and it's surroundings has to offer--then make a determination as to where your comfort level will best be reached.