I'm concerned about tornado activity in the immediate Huntsville area. The areas just south and west of there seems vulnerable; I may relocate

Asked by Roy T. Pirhala, New Windsor, NY Sun Jun 15, 2014

there

Answers

9
Micah Matson, Agent, Athens, AL
Tue Jul 8, 2014
I would say consider buying/building a storm shelter for $4000-7000 and you will save enough on property taxes+home prices to make up for that purchase. Then you will have a place to go in case of a storm. There are also more and more community storm shelters being built every year.
I agree with Micah. A couple of recommendations to go along with the answer would be to take a look at a couple of the local and national builders we have here in Huntsville. Some like Breland Homes actually offers a storm shelter, free of charge, in particular subdivisions. The drawback is where they are installed doesn't make total sense to me, but you still have the shelter. The shelter we opted for (not from Breland but a local builder) Was to install a "Safe Room" of sort as our Master Closet. We have 3-4ft underground concrete with block walls filled with re-bar and cement and a solid cement ceiling. If you have any more questions or need a referral you are welcome to contact me. 256.348.5572
Flag Tue Jul 8, 2014
Mike Owens, Agent, HUNTSVILLE, AL
Tue Jun 30, 2015
TORNADO'S ARE A CONCERN FOR EVERYONE IN THIS AREA I HAVE LIVED IN HUNTSVILLE ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE EXPERIENCED TORNADO DAMAGE PERSONALY. MY BEST ADVICE IS PURCHASE A HOME WITH A STORM SHELTER; ALSO ALWAYS BE WEATHER AWARE DURING SEVERE WEATHER AND HAVE A WEATHER RADIO.
darrendevan, Home Owner, Huntsville, AL
Thu Jul 10, 2014
Huntsville is an amazing place to live! We have a large, underground, storm shelter in our garage for times when we need it. It offers a lot of peace of mind.
Jim Brown, Agent, Brownsboro, AL
Tue Jul 8, 2014
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Jul 8, 2014
Every location has it's 'stuff.'

If your intent is to avoid ALL the stuff, you will find there is no place for you to live.

Observe the same level of precaution you apply to avoid lighting strikes or being bitten by a brown recluse spider or not being run over in a crosswalk, and you be OK where ever you end up.

Every place has it's stuff.
I have heard it rumored there not much stuff in Wyoming.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
REMAX
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Bonnie Sokol…, Agent, Madison, AL
Tue Jun 24, 2014
Roy,
It's not as bad as you might think. I have lived in Huntsville for over 30 years and my home has never been hit. I have two brothers that live west of Huntsville in Limestone County and they have never been hit. But I can see why you would be concerned, tornados are dangerous. You just have to be weather aware and take the appropriate actions, if your area goes under a tornado warning. You can also have a tornado shelter, they offer above ground and underground types. If you decide to relocate, let me know. I work with RE/MAX Distinctive and know the area and market very well.
Bonnie
Bonnie@lowreyteam.com
Bonnie Sokol…, Agent, Madison, AL
Tue Jun 24, 2014
Roy,
Bonnie
Bonnie@lowreyteam.com
vanhut, Home Owner, Huntsville, AL
Wed Jun 18, 2014
Roy,

I used to live just up the road from you in Newburgh, NY! I moved to Huntsville about 30 years ago and have never left. Yes, there is something of a history of tornadoes in the South-East, but in reality we are now seeing tornadoes all across the country. If you pay attention to the weather, and take reasonable precautions, you and your family will be fine. I can tell you this, I sure don't miss the NY winters. I remember leaving my job in Newburgh one evening in the winter of 1978 when a blizzard hit. Even though the roads were passable when I left, by the time I got near my house I had to abandon my car in a snow drift and hike the rest of the way home. I enjoy Huntsville and never ceased to be amazed by the diversity of opportunities and the positive economic conditions here. It's a great place to live.
hsvtide, Home Buyer, Huntsville, AL
Mon Jun 16, 2014
The risk of being hit by a tornado in the Huntsville Area are slim. We have had two hits in 45 years.I have lived in Madison County all my life(45 years).Although there have been tornados that have hit in Madison County they tend to hit North of Hyw 72 and into East Limestone County .Huntsville was hit in the Redstone Arsenal Military Base and the Harvest Area North of Hyw 72 in 1974 and again in 1994 which was on Airport Road.
Huntsvillians take Tornado season seriously as with anywhere tornados are a threat. We have had our neighbors devastated by these storms as many other states have but Huntsville people are great to help those in need. I could think of no other town that I would want as a neighbor if I were hit by a tornado. Huntsville was awesome to the neighbors that were hit and went over and beyond helping them recover.~ I love my town and I think it is great. I have been so lucky that it was the best kept secret for many years~ I cant say enough!