I have quit claim deed with legal description to make the wife sole owner of real estate property which is in a family trust. Want new owners name

Asked by Greg, 95376 Thu Aug 25, 2011

The property was in both in-laws names (my wife's parents) and was quitclaimed to her.She passed away and now trust executor is my wife's brother who has given me many reasons not to trust him, so I would like to make sure it was not sold without my wife's knowledge and whether it is on the market.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Joseph Gus S…, Agent, Tracy, CA
Fri Aug 26, 2011
I have a referral to a good real estae lawyer in Tracy if you want
0 votes
Joseph Gus S…, Agent, Tracy, CA
Fri Aug 26, 2011
You need to contact a Lawyer at this point. Don't delay.
0 votes
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, there's a nightmare scenario for a title insurance officer!

Well, Greg, I'm guessing you haven't recorded this deed, in which case, hang on - it will be a ride and a half.

All the best,
0 votes
Rocky G.H. H…, Agent, Ripon, CA
Thu Aug 25, 2011
Hi Greg,

You may want to contact the Recorder-County Clerks Office:

Recorder/County Clerk
44 N San Joaquin Street
Suite 260
Stockton, CA 95202
Phone: (209) 468-3939
Fax: (209) 468-8040

Also, to find if the home is on market, you may want to touch base with a Realtor off-line. It's as simple as providing the address.

I hope this helps,


Rocky G.H. Hawrysz
Prudential California Realty
P:(209) 444-6610
F:(209) 433-2000
Lic: 01468373
0 votes
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Thu Aug 25, 2011
Hi Greg,

Was the Quit Claim Deed recorded in the county the property is located in? If it was, then your wife should still be the legal owner of the property unless she deeded it to someone else. If the Quit Claim Deed was NOT recorded in the county the property is located in, you need to contact a Real Estate Attorney as soon as possible because your wife would not be the legal owner (not until recorded).

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes
Lacey Fisher, Agent, Modesto, CA
Thu Aug 25, 2011
If the property was deeded to your wife, and the deed was recorded with the county your wife should be the legal owner. Any further transfers in title would require a notarized signature from your wife. You can probably find title information for the property on the county website where the property is located. That will tell you if there have been any changes she is not aware of. As for it being on the market, if it is listed with a multiple listing service it is likely posted online so a quick search would probably tell you.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more