I have a single family house my LLC owns in DC. I'm the single member in the LLC. I now want to transfer

Asked by Jerry, 20020 Thu Apr 2, 2009

and/or record the deed in my name in order to get financing on the property. Do you know if DC charges a city tranfer tax and recordation tax to do the deed change? This is not a sale, but simply a change in the deed with the DC governnment to my name.

I've talked to a couple of settlement offices and I'm getting conflicting information...Help!

Answers

4
Jonathan Add…, Agent, Washington, DC
Tue May 26, 2009
In talking to the indiviudal who heads the divison of Tax and Revenue for whom the subject would come under they explained that essentially while it is a transfer fro ma single-member LLC to yourself (and you being the single-member) it is still a transfer of ownership which means that there will be a transfer tax based on the assessed value (not the appraised value). If its above $400k then that would be 1.45% of he asseessed value and other wise 1.1% of if under $400k. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions at jonathan@addisonco.com.

Take care and good luck!

Jonathan
Jerry, , 20020
Fri Apr 3, 2009
Hi Andy,

thanks for the response.

the house is residential as classified by the tax records.

thx
Andy Peers, Agent, Washington DC, DC
Thu Apr 2, 2009
Jerry- Here's your answer from a settlement attorney friend.

Andy,

If the property is classified as residential, than we can file a security affidavit with the new Deed of Trust and no taxes are due. On the other hand if it is classified as commercial then they would owe 1.45% on either the new loan amount or the difference in the original loan amount and new amount.

Web Reference:  http://www.peersandy.com
Andy Peers, Agent, Washington DC, DC
Thu Apr 2, 2009
Hi Jerry,

I'm having a settlement attorney check on it. I'm told that it constantly changes. You'll probably get your answer from someone else but I'll chime in with what I find.
Web Reference:  http://www.peersrealty.com