I have a roommate currently who has been living with me for a year without having signed so much as a month

Asked by Rebecca, San Francisco, CA Fri Feb 13, 2009

to month contract. He is not on the lease and he is habitually late on the rent. He hasn't paid me for February and he still owes me $100 for January. I have written up a 30 day eviction notice. If he refuses to sign or acknowledge the notice, what can I do to ensure I do not get in trouble? This is in SF, so I know the laws are a little different.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Fri Dec 18, 2009
You should stop by the rent board located on Van Ness. They can give you advice.

Gregory Garver - Commercial Real Estate Broker
Broker License# 01716531
Web Reference:  http://www.gregorygarver.com
0 votes
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Fri Feb 13, 2009
It depends on many factors. Do you have a lease with the owner of the unit? Are you the only person on the lease? Do you have the right under your lease to sublet rooms? What do you have, in writing, from the "roommate" that says he owes you X for rent?

More information is needed before anyone can guide you further. Go to the rent board on Van Ness with as much information as possibe and ask for guidance. You might need to get an attorney if they can't give you what you need. Real estate agents are not attorneys and can not give legal advice. The rrent bord will give you information and you can act on that. If a real estate agent gives you information and you act on it they have liability.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more