I have a fence that I believe from the plat info from the county is on my property. What should I do?

Asked by L, 30132 Mon Jun 16, 2008

The fence surrounds a retention pond next to my lot.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Darrell Hess, Agent, Asheville, NC
Sat Apr 7, 2012
Survey and file complaint with your local ordinance if found to be encroaching on your property.
0 votes
James Dudley, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Sat Jun 21, 2008

A Survey is the only way to know for sure.

If it is blocking a retention pond then you may want to check with your HOA and see if it's owned by the community.

This is one of the reasons to always get a survey on the property when you buy it. You can eliminate these problems before they become yours.
0 votes
Bee Nguyen, , Atlanta, GA
Mon Jun 16, 2008
Get a survey and consult an attorney. Try calling David Barrett with the Fryer Law Firm; he is an excellent resource and deals with encroachments and/or survey issues all the time. 404.978.9233.
Web Reference:  http://www.leaveitbee.com
0 votes
William M "M…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Mon Jun 16, 2008
In order to know for sure if the fence is on your property have a survey done.
0 votes
Cameron Piper, Agent, Forest Lake, MN
Mon Jun 16, 2008

Fill us in on what you would like to do and we might be able to help you more. Does the fence bother you and you want to remove it, does someone else "own" it, etc.

Plats are fairly generic and without knowing exactly where the property lines are, are fairly useless for this sort of situation. I would bite the bullet and hire a surveyor to mark the property lines for you so you can know for sure.

Cameron Piper
Web Reference:  http://www.campiper.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more