General Area in New York>Question Details

Victoria, Renter in New York, NY

I got a notice to appear on court on Monday the 21st and I got it under my door Wednesday night the 16th. Am I obligated to go?

Asked by Victoria, New York, NY Fri May 18, 2012

Answers

8
It's really in your best interest to consult with your attorney beforehand.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 18, 2012
If it is a subpoena than you must go. However, from your question I'm not really sure what the reason for the notice is. Your best bet is to contact a lawyer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 18, 2012
if it isn't served to you in person then you do not have to appear.
If you do go, be prepared to come back to an apartment that is cleaned out of all of your furniture and appliances.
Neat way to get someone out of the house for a burglary instead of buying them real tickets to a broadway show.
A lot depends on the kind of notice and the particular court. Some papers must be in hand served. Is it a notice to appear with documents or physical objects? Was it signed by the court or a clerk. There are just so many questions that answering based on your question would be irresponsible. Maybe you had plans to be away on Monday, or have a conflicting court appointment. Maybe its a scam.

What does your lawyer say?
Absolutely! Failure to appear could result in more problems. Be sure to get legal advice if you can over the weekend. If you're unable to, first thing Monday morning.

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Web Reference: http://www.Syan.com
Hi VIctoria. I think you have a secret, yes? You don't seem flustered or outraged and one might think you were expecting something like this? What we know is you have noticed to appear. These are not usually optional.

Yes, talk to an Attorney like...ASAP. Real estate oriented or not, if you don't respond, you might be doing so at your own peril. I wish you all the best.
You should be inquiring of an attorney, not Realtors. This is a legal issue; I could only give an opinion.
What kind of notice did you receive? Based on the fact that this is a real estate web site I assume its eviction related. It should contain instructions regarding your obligation to appear, and any penalties for not appearing.