General Area in 11772>Question Details

Lydia58, Home Owner in 11772

I bought a $180K house last year-tax ass value=$289K. Town offered to lower ass'd value to $220K. Should I take their offer or file a grievance?

Asked by Lydia58, 11772 Tue May 10, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Gail Gladstone’s answer
Not being an attorney or running a tax grievance business (I will be happy to refer you to an attorney who does run a tax grievance business), my gut says that the price you paid establishes legal and undeniable value of the property.

Please speak with an expert at can call or email me for the name/number of my referral. 631-425-6150
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 10, 2011
Hello Lydia
I am a local Realtor in the Patchogue area. I also own and operate a tax grievance service. We are a flat rate company which makes us cheaper than most companies. I only grieve Brookhaven town. It depends on the circumstances of your purchase. Was it a regular transaction, a short sale, a foreclosure? Feel free to contact me at 631-838-0715
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 22, 2014
Unfortunately the decision is entirely yours; in order to establish your property's value, you can take a look at recently closed similar properties in the immediate and or hire a professional appraiser, then make a determination...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 10, 2011
Hi Lydia58,

Ask a Realtor in your area to email you a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA). This will show you the market value of your property based on comps sold in the neighborhood. If that value comes in lower than the $220K, then you can appeal the Assessor's value and you will have the comps to send the Assessor as 'proof'. Of course, if the opposite is true (the market value is higher than the Assessor's $220K), you shoudl accept the Assessor's value of $220K.

Good luck!

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 10, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer