I believe Johnson County Kansas government has assessed/appraised my home too high, resulting in an inflated

Asked by Terry, Shawnee, KS Tue Jan 1, 2008

tax bill. What is the most official source of information about home sale prices?

Answers

6
Michael Russ…, Agent, Overland Park, KS
Mon Jan 28, 2008
Terry,

On the back of your tax bill should be the process for disputing the assessment. Please let me know if you need any help finding comparables for your house
Chris Lengqu…, Agent, Olathe, KS
Tue Jan 1, 2008
The most official source would be the Recorder of the Deeds office. But you can always have a real estate agent pull the mls "comps" and use those. Then you could challenge. From there, they will decide. Good luck! Let me know if you need any more help.
David Van Noy…, Agent, Leawood, KS
Tue Jun 3, 2008
The fact is that 75% of all challenges made to the tax department are reduced. I would definitely pursue this and see if you can get them to lower it. I can give you the number and address if you need help......
Web Reference:  http://www.davidvannoyjr.com
Karen Barber, Agent, Olathe, KS
Fri May 9, 2008
I think that is a problem all over right now. I have a small house listed in Wyandotte County that just appraised for sale at $57,000 and the tax appraisal is $74,000!

I live in Johnson County and I tried battling them two years ago over inflated taxes. I filled out the forms, made my appointment, went to the County offices, spoke to the County appraiser...and I lost. I wish you better luck. It is more than a little frustrating so if I can help, let me know!
Jackie Stahl, Agent, Gardner, KS
Wed Apr 23, 2008
Cut and paste this to your browser http://appraiser.jocogov.org/General/appeal.htm This is the Johnson County appraiser's office website and it shows step by step how to appeal your taxes. Good luck. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to email or call me.
Michael Pier…, Agent, Overland Park, KS
Tue Jan 22, 2008
I would be happy to email you a list of all the homes to sell in your subdivision in the past year. Let me know.