I am thinking of moving our family to Rochester NY and we would be moving from long island. I just want to know the pros and cons of living there.

Asked by adevito, Rochester, NY Mon Feb 4, 2013

Answers

16
Specvgini, Home Buyer, Rochester, NY
Sun Mar 19, 2017
Rochester is a horrible citiy, i've lived here my entire life, and have been trying to escape since birth lol. The weather is terrible, the jobs don't pay well, there are not many jobs, crime is bad about a murder a day, the city is very run down, the roads are destroyed by winter salt, summer is very short, taxes are very high, and most people are trying to leave to a better place. No lie, it really sucks.
People say we have affordable living here, and what they are refering to are 10,000 crack houses on avenue D. If you wanna be away from the crime, your gonna look at a 30 minute commute. I live in gananda, and a new house here big enough for a family will run you over 200k. You will be lucky to find a decent house in the suburbs for under 150k. Thats expensive for the area considering theres no jobs anymore.
Flag Sun Mar 19, 2017
Erikamontano, Home Buyer, Rochester, NY
Thu Apr 28, 2016
i am just wondering did you ever move to Rochester and if so how do you like it? We are thinking about moving our family from Staten Island, NY to Rochester , NY.
Jackee huntl…, Home Buyer, Rochester, NY
Mon Feb 22, 2016
dont do it i was born n raised there u r better off where u at now they have one of the highest crime rates the schools especially highschool suck i had to move to greece ny to get better grades i now live in texas had to get my daughter away from ny please please do your research n dont go if u do go to greece ny instead but they do have alot of amenities tho
Ninac561, Home Buyer, Henderson, NV
Tue Nov 17, 2015
the cons are that we pay very high taxes and the weather isnt that great, not many sunny days. the winters are rough andthe summers are very humid, on the plus side we have many beautiful areas to visit and strong sense of communities and there are many quality jobs for thetaking. the schools are great and all and all it is a really great placeto raise a family.
Channel Berry, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Oct 6, 2015
I am thinking about moving to Rochester, NY from LI/ Queens, NY for the exact same thing. .. affordability and I heard Rochester had lovely suburbs
yes they do but please do your research cuz i grew up there n left the first chance i got its not a place to raise a family n school district sucks to many crimes go on everyday all day
Flag Mon Feb 22, 2016
Kmarie6744, Home Buyer, Lowell, MA
Tue Aug 26, 2014
I am thinking of moving to Rochester NY during the month of December with my family.We live in Massachusetts but we would like a change and different things to do with my family.Please can someone tells me how is it to live in Rochester.Im also looking for a house to rent with either 3 or 4 bedrooms.Please email me if you can at kmarie6744@gmail.com or answer me here.Im looking for someone serious to answer me please Thank You l ll appreciate
Dana Rusnak, Agent, Brighton, MI
Mon Apr 1, 2013
Relocation can be an exciting and complicated time. There are so many factors to consider and depending on your family, lifestyle and interest there are thousands of "pros and cons".
Coming to Rochester from another state, proved to be complex decision.
If you would like to learn more about the many communities in the Greater Rochester area, please send an email directly to me at realtordanarusnak@gmail.com. I'd be happy to assist you as a Realtor, or share my experiences as a mother, wife, CEO of the family and making the move to a new area.
canole24, Home Buyer, Rochester, NY
Mon Feb 18, 2013
We moved from Merrick almost 6 years ago. Rochester is a great place to raise a family. So many things to do and great schools. Housing is so much more affordable (I can be a stay at home mom here -- couldn't even dream of it on LI) You can have city life, suburbs or country all within an hour from each other. I'm so glad this is where I'm raising my family!
c7j, Home Seller, Rochester, NY
Mon Feb 11, 2013
We have lived here for almost 13 years (having lived previously in PA, CO, TN and OH) and we have absolutely LOVED our time here.

PROS: educated population, numerous cultural interests, great schools, friendly people, beautiful seasons, parks/recreation, a lot of outdoor opportunities, Finger Lakes (wineries!), easy access to numerous cities (and Canada)

CONS: it snows (it also is sunny quite often in the winter making the snow look beautiful, in my opinion!)

We have always felt that the teachers in the area where we live (Churchville-Chili school district) are excellent and often go above and beyond- very committed to their jobs and to the community. We have also found that the families on the west side of town are friendly, down-to-earth, educated people and the community, as a whole, has a lot to offer.

Unfortunately, we are selling our home and moving (job)- but if it were up to us, we would never leave the Chili area- we truly love it here!
Sal Tripi, Agent, Rochester, NY
Tue Feb 5, 2013
Rochester/Monroe County is a great place to live. We have some of the most affordable housing. But our area goes way beyound that. Rochester and the area has very very good schools, economicly we are ver stable compared to other areas and cities, we have some of the finest collages and university in America and The University of Rochesters Medical and Business School's are second to none.
Shopping Malls, and well planned neighborhood development to insure home values. Road ways, we can be almost anywhere in a 15 min. drive. Located on the shores of Lake Ontario with great water access for boating swimming and fishing. We also have the Genesee River that runs through the city proper. this River is one of the few in the world that runs north. Also challenging and many of them private and public Golf cources. I can go on and on, but I would need a week to write about our fine area.
I would be happy to give you more information
I am Sal Tripi, Realty USA Assoc Broker
585-865-4100, ext#310. or my cell 585-734-5302
Philip Volta…, Agent, Town of Greece, NY
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Rochester is a great place to bring up a family. We have great school systems, parks, the beatiful
Fingerlakes and Lake Ontario. We also have 3 giant malls in the area and 2 other big malls with in an hour and a half drive.

Property values are on the way up in most areas and the interest rates are still below 4%. It's a great time to buy in Rochester

I have many relatives in Long Island. Lindenhurst, Bay Shore and Massapequa. It is also a great place to raise a family.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to call me at 585-737-9014 or e-mail me at philvolta@kw.com
Kristen Wahl, Agent, Pittsford, NY
Mon Feb 4, 2013
I would be happy to connect you with some of my past clients who have moved to Rochester from other areas. That way you could hear it first hand from someone who has relocated. If you're interested, feel free to e-mail me at kwahlhomes@gmail.com or call or text my cell phone at (585) 455-5524. Thanks, and have a great day!
Brad Newton, Agent, Pittsford, NY
Mon Feb 4, 2013
There are several things you can do to get to know the area, such as visit local popular places on-line, review school districts on-line, and do a General search of things to do in Rochester NY. The cost of living is cheaper than Long Island as I have friends that live down there. I can also give you some local people's names/#'s to speak with.

It really is a personal preference based upon your reasons for your move. Rochester has a great housing market, but it has been affected those that have lost their jobs. The housing market in Rochester has made an upswing in most areas, and depending on your financial resources, what type of housing you are looking for rent vs own and where you will be working, there are many great areas to choose from.

Many clients enjoy the Finger Lakes, local sports teams, and proximity to both Buffalo and Syracuse events. Being a lifelong resident I wouldn't live anywhere else. If suburbs are you choice , you can choose from many great school districts, and there is also wonderful city living with both public & private schools, plus a little stroll into the country and you can have a humble abode.

If you would like some websites to visit or people to talk to just let me know and I can forward some names and phone numbers. Not knowing your exact circumstance, I can not tell you if Rochester is your place to move or not. I am sure you can find whatever you are looking for in Rochester or the surrounding towns/ counties.

Brad Newton
Certified Buyer Representative
(585) 236-7780
Email: BradNewton@Remax.net
http://www.Brad-Newton.com
RE/MAX Custom
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Mon Feb 4, 2013
I would reccommend speding some time in the area to get acquainted with life up there. You can do a lot of research online as well, checking out the economy and schools.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Keep in mind that pros and cons are really all about personal preferences....
Reinhardt Br…, Agent, Pittsford, NY
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Please view a video on our area on my website http://www.ReinBrucker. Com