Venspi60, Home Buyer in Bend, OR

I am single woman 64 years old. and I am soon to be retired. Will there be much of a social life for me.?

Asked by Venspi60, Bend, OR Mon Nov 26, 2012

Answers

11
Patti Geragh…, Agent, Bend, OR
Sat Aug 17, 2013
There are some excellent answers below. Enjoy!
Mary Gemba, Agent, Bend, OR
Sat Aug 17, 2013
There is SO MUCH to do here in Bend. It's WHY I live downtown...Social gatherings in Drake Park for Munch n Music on Thursday evenings, NOW Munch n Movie at Compass Park in NW Crossing; Farmers Market on the Brooks Street Promenade adjoining Drake Park on Wednesdays, Hiking groups on Tuesday (they post much of the social to-do groups in the local paper THE BULLETIN),
live shows at the Tower Theater, monthly fairs like the BITE of BEND, impromptu concerts in the downtown streets, the Pet Parade and Fireworks display on Pilot Butte for 4th of July, FREE concerts on Sunday afternoons starting at 2:30 at the Les Schwab Amphitheater, floating the Deschutes River and then taking a bus ride with your floating device back up for a mere $1.50...Big name concerts monthly at Les Schwab Amphitheater...like Huey Lewis and the News....Cheryl Crow...Steve Miller...cycling, skiing a half hour away....kayaking everywhere....Cascade Lakes 45 minutes to an hour away up Cascade Lakes Hiway...I could go on and on OR you can keep checking my website and click on thebestofbend at http://www.bendproperties.org
Susan Agli, Agent, Bend, OR
Fri Mar 29, 2013
Of course there is a social life for you. In the local newspaper they lists all the different clubs you can join Then there is the Bend Parks & Rec which has activities for all ages - and the community college offers all sorts of ways to meet people. Some of my friends joined the newcomer club to meet people.
What most people say is there is so much to do I can't decide. Depending what your interests are or what you think you might be interested in you will find others who are like minded.

Just be open to all the possibilities - ask people questions - and remember there are hundreds of groups and volunteer organizations so if you don't find a social life then you are not trying.

Susan Agli, Broker
Coldwell Banker Morris Real Estate
Licensed in the state of Oregon
Accredited Buyer's Representative
Website: http://www.susanagli.com
Facebook: Susan Agli Real Estate Central Oregon

I provide a one year warranty for all my clients, ask me about the details
Gbscone, Home Buyer, Bend, OR
Mon Feb 18, 2013
All of the below are accurate. I would add that th Golf Clubs in the area (e.g, Awbrey Glen) are filled with retirees and in addtiion to golf, the club facilitates a number of other activities including, hiking, card playing etc.
Bonnie Savic…, Agent, Bend, OR
Tue Nov 27, 2012
Bend offers such a wide variety of things to do - if you are an outdoor enthusiasts there are miles of hiking, biking & running trails. Bend is often called a "Town for All Ages!" If you're into water sports there are incredible mountain lakes - miles of snowshoe trails incredible rivers to flyfish or float. Like concerts? There are FREE outdoor concerts at Drake Park & the Old Mill + we have lots of great shopping - a downtown theater where you can enjoy plays & musicals. If you enjoy helping others I am a member of a great woman's group called Assistance League of Bend - we give back to the community by raising funds to clothe children in need, knit hats & sew gowns for cancer patients as well as work with seniors. So as you can see we have a wide variety of things to do - the choice is yours! Bend is a wonderful, friendly community ~ I'm sure you will find your niche here! Life will be fun!

Bonnie Savickas, Broker
Coldwell Banker Morris
1-541-408-7537
bonnie@bendproperty.com
Greg Barnwell, Agent, Bend, OR
Mon Nov 26, 2012
I'm retirement age myself and love it here. There's an energy here, perhaps it's the clean fresh air and water and/or the buzz of things happening here, or that there are so many things to do. Bend makes a lot of Best of and Top ten lists. Here are two especially pertinent to your question:

AARP Names Bend Oregon in the top 10 Sunny Places to Retire
Bend made another list. This time it’s AARP’s top 10 sunny retirement cities. Also making the list on the west coast is San Diego and San Luis Obispo.

U.S. News Editorial Pick: Best Places to Retire for Single Retirees
The large number of singles over 65 years old and the abundance of outdoor activities in Bend led U.S. News to select the city as one of the country's top 10 places for single retirees to live.

Also, there are numerous golf courses in the area if you're so inclined. I see many folks our age out enjoying happy hours at Bend's many great restaurants and bars and brew pubs with great atmosphere and views of the Deschutes River, mountains, etc., if you enjoy that sort of thing. Events at the Tower Theater are also good opportunities to meet people and make friends.

Greg Barnwell
Cascade/Sotheby's Realty
541-848-7222
gbarn50@yahoo.com
Joe Kendall, Agent, Bend, OR
Mon Nov 26, 2012
Put it this way, you are going to need hiking shoes, a ski rack for your car possibly with a kayak mount, skis, maybe snowshoes, an appointment calendar, a subscription to the Source, and The Bulletin to keep up with activities, golf clubs, a lawn chair for summer concerts, an appetite for good food, interest in movies, an athletic club membership, and a pal who is game to try new things. This is a spectacular place to retire. Let me know if you need more information.
Joe Kendall
Bend Premier Real Estate
541 948 0732
Linda Gardner, Agent, Bend, OR
Mon Nov 26, 2012
There is much to do in Bend, and if you are interested in a social life, there should be plenty to do here. A description of your favored activities would be helpful . . .

If you are active, there are a number of groups which support physical activities of various kinds . . . including cross country skiing, kayaking, luncheons out, and the senior center has bridge, exercise, and other activities. I'm pretty good at helping clients assimilate into the culture here. I've been in Bend since 1990, and I am considered a great resource for those new to the area.

If you are not so active, there are still a number of book groups, quilting and knitting groups, card groups to become involved with.

Linda Gardner, Bend Brokers Realty
Sheree MacRi…, Agent, Bend, OR
Mon Nov 26, 2012
Hi there,

Everything the agent's below wrote is accurate. We do have a wonderfully vital area and depending upon your interest you may find the perfectly "social atmosphere" you are looking for.
Meetup is another organization that seems to be taken a place in Bend.

So really, it truly depends upon your interests...which direction you would go you will find Bend to be a warm and friendly atmosphere where it is easy to meet people.

Do you want information about our homes? I have been selling Central Oregon for 21 years and would be happy to help you with anything you need.

Sheree MacRitchie,
Principal Broker
541-480-8919
Jack Zika, Agent, Bend, OR
Mon Nov 26, 2012
Of course there is. We have many social clubs you can join. The community is very active with fairs and festivals. The city of Bend really goes out it's way to provide entertainment. Movies in the park, seasonal festivals downtown, and and they bring in national bands to play at these events.
Peter Hatton, Agent, Bend, OR
Mon Nov 26, 2012
I would recommend you check out the Bend Newcomer's Club. There are many activities on an ongoing basis. We also have Bend Senior Center which is constantly having events. If you like outdoor activities, the Bend Parks and Rec Department has guided hikes, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing events for any adults. I think there would be many opportunities for you.