I am relocating to Charlotte from New York. I don't know much about the outer suburbs...but i've heard Matthews is very nice. Is this a good area?

Asked by Vincent Villani, 28214 Tue Mar 11, 2014

I'm looking for info on what areas are good, and which ones I should avoid. I'm coming in pretty blind here, so any thoughts or opinions from locals would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

15
Stephanie Bl…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
Vincent,

Congratulations on your decision to escape the frigid north! I work with a lot of Northern transplants (several would be happy to talk to you) and I can tell you, they all love it here, especially the cost of living. Matthews is a nice area, but depending on what part of New York you are from, it is not very walkable and does require a car. That being said, it is a very family friendly area with a nice selection of older traditional homes as well as new construction neighborhoods. It truly has a suburb feel with a quaint downtown area and local shops, but about 15 minutes away from downtown Charlotte. You can get a lot of house for your money here.

I tell people that are coming down here that it is best to really know yourself in order to pick the best area to live. In addition to considering commute times and schools, you should look at whether you prefer a more suburban, urban, or rural lifestyle. What do you like to do for fun? After all, you want to enjoy where you live, not have to drive somewhere else. If you like lakes, we have two great areas, Lake Norman to the north and Lake Wylie to the south. In the summer, I take my clients out on my boat to preview lake homes. If you like outdoor activities, consider Union County and the Waxhaw or Weddington area which has a lot of bicyclers, equestrians, and state parks for hiking and camping. Love shopping and eating, choose the suburb of Ballantyne or Huntersville, or if budget allows, one of our more historic areas close to downtown such as Dilworth, Myers Park, or Elizabeth.

As you can see, Charlotte has a lot to offer. I recommend checking out http://www.charlottesgotalot.com for information on the areas of town and what is going on. One thing that many transplants don't realize is how close to South Carolina we are. Fort Mill, SC was ranked #7 small city by Parents Magazine last year. It is only 20 minutes from Downtown and has great tax rates. Feel free to call or email me with any further questions you have. I would love to help you figure out just why I, and so many others, truly love this city!

Stephanie Blackburn, REALTOR
704-759-6168
sblackburn@dlmortonrealty.com
http://www.thecarolinashomefinder.com
Jan Teel, Agent, Matthews, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
Welcome to the Carolinas, Vincent! Matthews is a lovely place to live and work. Much of the value in our area is driven by school assignments. Even if you don't have children, the value of the home you purchase can be greatly affected by how well a school performs. Folks want to have their children get the best education possible and they will pay more for a house located in a desirable school assignment.

Some of our most popular suburban locations include the Ballantyne area, south of the city, Matthews, Tega Cay, and Pineville. We have areas to the north, leading to Lake Norman that include Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson.

If you slip across the county line into Union County you have lots of great and affordable choices including Stallings, Indian Trail, Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel, Weddington and Marvin. Across the border into South Carolina you have Lake Wylie and Fort Mill.

For a thorough run down on the area please feel free to give me a call. I love to brag about our hometown.

Blessings upon you...
Jan Teel/TEEL Realty
704-641-0267
Customer Care…, , Charlotte, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
Hi!

Matthews is a great area just outside of Charlotte. I have included a link that has recent listings of homes in Matthews that you can look through:

http://www.bhhscarolinas.com/carolina-homes-for-sale/Matthew…

We would love to get you in touch with one of our experienced agents who can further assist your home search and can be a complete guide to you about areas around Charlotte. Our contact information is below. We look forward to serving you!

customercare@bhhscarolinas.com
888-778-2276
Lisa Williams, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
Dear Vincent, welcome to Charlotte you're going to love it here! There are many different areas of Charlotte that are absolutely wonderful to live and raise a family with an easy commute to work, lovely weather and plenty of things to do! I would love the opportunity to assist you in finding just the right spot for you. My website is http://www.ListOrLookWithLisa.com it has many useful tools. contact me direct 704–497–5533 c to discuss your upcoming relocation.
-Lisa Williams
Broker/Realtor
Frank Coxx, Agent, Indian Trail, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
Matthews, Mint Hill, Indian Trail, Stallings, Pineville, South Charlotte the name of you if you need any more help you can contact me at (980) 245-4677 ask for Frank integrity Realty
John Siddons…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Mar 13, 2014
Your question is pretty vague. As far as "very nice", that could mean lots of different things to different people.

Email me directly with a bit of info about what you're looking for and I can help you with your relocation!

John Siddons
john.siddons@bhhscarolinas.com
http://www.SearchCharlotte.com
xuhuifang, Home Owner, Charlotte, NC
Wed Mar 12, 2014
any area in south of charlotte is good.

for you situation, if you like open, privacy, pet friendly housing, and on the lake living.
you may look at the lake wylie or lake norman area.

In fact, I have just listed a cottage in lake wylie which fit into your budget.
Just search zip code 28278 with water front key words.
xuhuifang, Home Owner, Charlotte, NC
Wed Mar 12, 2014
Hi Vincent

Matthews is nice, but it mature and fairly old community.

the booming area is Ballantyne area, south of I485. Newer and better schools and houses.
Cathy Herron, Agent, Rock Hill, SC
Wed Mar 12, 2014
Don't forget about SC. We have lower taxes, homes with bigger lots and better schools. The commute is about the same. We have lots of people movig from NC to SC. Love to share more. Email me directly at cathy@aCarolina.net.
Julius Green, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
Congratulations!!! Moving to the South from the North deserves a standing ovation! Not to mention the weather but also cost of living etc. Charlotte is an amazing city to live and raise a family. There are so many great areas in Charlotte to live in. Matthews, Mint Hill and Pineville just to name a few. I'm sure which ever place you decide to move in Charlotte, will fit you perfectly! Please feel free to email me at Juliusgreen@kw.com or follow me on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/Juliusgreenteam. Wishing you the best!
Ray Mares, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
What you are looking for is very doable in many areas around Charlotte. Location close to work may be a consideration but as a possible alternative to Matthews, I'd like you to consider Huntersville....specifically the Birkdale area. Birkdale is planned community with great shopping and a residential community that is relatively new, model community, It offers most of the amenities you could want in addition to rental homes, condos and townhomes in your price range. Nearby is Lake Norman with over 500 miles of shoreline. If you'd like, I could send you a relocation package from the Lake Norman Chamber. I'd be happy to help you find a rental home that meets or exceeds your expectations. Just give me a call at 704 928 7198. Ray Mares, Broker, Realtor, Allen Tate Realty
Vincent Vill…, Renter, 28214
Tue Mar 11, 2014
I should clarify...

I'm looking to rent. Prefer a single family home though a townhome is not out of the question. Garage is ideal, budget is around $1300/month. I have cats so I need pet friendly.

This will be a transitionary property. I'm looking to rent for a year or two to get settled in and get the 'lay of the land' before purchasing a home.
Try Bexley at Matthews I am from NY to and you can get a 1 brd with garage for 1000. a month. I live here LOL
Flag Fri Mar 14, 2014
Ray Mares, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
Hello Vincent,
Charlotte has a neighborhood that is ideal for almost anyone but not knowing your expectations, price points, what is important to you in a housing location decision, I wouldn't want to presuppose any neighborhood is better than another. Matthews is a good one but so are others. The really nice thing about Charlotte is that your choices are almost endless and your dollar goes farther than most housing in the Northeast. You'll also find that taxes are much lower which also can mean you get more house for your dollar. If you'd like to talk with me about the area, please give me a call at 704 928 7198. I hope to hear from you. Ray Mares
Robin Faison, Agent, Huntersville, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
Yes Vincent, Matthews is a pleasant area for you to choose as your home. Many people from New York choose North Mecklenburg and South Iredell around Lake Norman to call home. You will love the warm weather, easier lifestyle, and lower taxes.

Contact me if I can help you find a house: robin.faison@gmail.com
Marci Kahan, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Mar 11, 2014
Hello Vincent,

Matthews is very nice, there's a lot of nice areas. I actually relocated from New York City about 18 months ago. When are you planning on moving, I can help you look. Many things come into play, where you'll be working, if you have children in school and what size/space you need.

Please contact me when you have some free time and we can discuss it further, thanks.

My email is marcikahan@kw.com, or feel free to reach me on my work cell 704-750-5144.