I am moving to the chicagoland area in 9-12 months, I want to move to the north shore, I love the downtowm in

Asked by Mark, Minnesota Wed Jan 2, 2008

highland park, is there any information on that area that make it more or less appealing to live there (versus other N. shore cities)for a married man with children ?

Answers

6
Nancy Karp, Agent, Highland Park, IL
Tue Jun 2, 2009
If an appealing downtown area is important to you, as you mention in your question, then Highland Park is a terrific choice. As you travel North from Chicago, Evanston has the largest downtown, followed by Highland Park (I don't like that fact that you have to pay to park in Evanston's downtown). But there are other factors to consider as you search among the various communities on the North Shore. I have lived on the North Shore my entire life and there are so many opportunities to consider.

Each community along the North Shore has a different look and feel. If you have children, you may want to check out the schools (they are all fairly top notch) to see if they have the types of programs or facilities that you want/need. Evanston, Wilmette and Glencoe have nicer beaches than Highland Park, while Highland Park is the home of Ravinia Music Festival.

Highland Park tends to have more homes available in every price range than Willmette and Glencoe. On the flip side, real estate taxes tend to be higher in Highland Park.

Other things to consider, depending on the age of your children, are things like day care, places of worship, before/after school care, park district facilities and programs, etc. There are links to all of the North Shore communities on my blog, and I also have a link to a web site that gives you test scores for the various schools. So you can get one-stop shopping for everything you want to know about the North Shore.

If you have any other questions about the North Shore, feel free to contact me directly: nancy@NancyKarp.com 847-226-5594
Vassi Saviano, Agent, Elk Grove Village, IL
Wed Apr 30, 2008
Here is a helpful link for comparing communities. Good Luck!
Northshore, Home Buyer, Northshore, Houston, TX
Wed Apr 30, 2008
I have noticed that Highland Park and Northbrook share certain cultural/ethnic qualities while Lake Forest and Lake Bluff share others. I would suggest identifying the differences and determining whether they are important to you.
Eugene Tkach…, Agent,
Tue Apr 29, 2008
Hi Mac,

I’ve lived in Highland Park since 1991 and raised my family here. Highland Park offers outstanding schools, many great parks, terrific downtown Highland Park area with many one-of-a-kind shops/restaurants/art galleries, banks, excellent Aquapark, golf courses, Ravinia festival in summer (world renowned names from classical to jazz, rock, etc.). There are great public Lake Michigan beaches and even a dog beach (at Moraine Park). There is a wide range of properties in Highland Park for many income brackets from condominiums, townhomes, various styles of single family homes from ranches, split levels, traditional, contemporary to Victorian mansions and Frank Lloyd Wright masterpieces. This is a great place to live.
Web Reference:  http://www.timenethome.com/
Eileen Campb…, , 60093
Wed Apr 23, 2008
Highland Park is a great area and it's geographically large enough to accomodate almost any setting you might like. The downtown area, as you know, has more of an urban feel. Several of Highland Park's excellent schools are near the downtown area, which might answer your question.
Greg Zaccagni, , Illinois
Thu Jan 3, 2008
Here is an excellent website for your question:

http://www.highlandpark.org