check out these webites:
-- good general guide
Areas that are good -- desirable -- where people want to live:
- Thousand Oaks between Wetmore and Henderson Pass - good schools, etc.
- Universal City (just outside San Antonio) - ok schools
- Medical Center area - schools not sure
- San Antonio housing is in pockets or by subdivision and in some cases by street.
- Make sure you check the flood zone. San Antonio just had a major flood. Areas that flood are near Basse / 281 Expressway and Jonesmaltzburger Roads -- also south side; Leon Valley area. Look up recent flooding and write down the areas.
You will hear people tell you the most desirable areas are "inside the 1604 loop) -- Get a map and keep in your car.
Be careful driving. San Antonio is confusing because the roads are in circles that surround the city. If you are used to a grid system (i.e., North, South, East, West) -- here you can think you are diving north, but because the roads are circles, you can end up on the south side of the town a hurry.
Good luck! Welcome to San Antonio. Expressway 281 cuts through the center of San Antonio. Expressway 1604 circles around the city.
Renting a house --- hummm - make sure the house is NOT if a flood zone. Make sure you have renters insurance. And, make sure you have renters insurance that covers flood damage. A word of caution. Use a reputable realtor. Also, READ THE TEXAS LEASE. Leases in Texas are hard to break. Due to the rental market, most houses are renting at market and go quickly. Get a map, use the info listed above, check out realtor.com.