I am looking for a honest opinion. Which builders have a better reputation for building new homes in South Florida?

Asked by Mee08, Land O' Lakes, FL Sun Jul 21, 2013

I have spent 1yr looking for a lot to build my own home,but im learning I wont find anything in a good area & at an affordable $. So I assume that I will need to buy a new home, but I prefer one that feels "luxurious" & afforable. I currently own a US home in Tampa and did not have a good experience as it feels like it was pasted together. Walls, windows unlevel, poor insulation, thin windows, etc. I am looking west of turnpike & south of southern as will be a newer area for a while and better chance of higher resales down the road. I would prefer broward (cheap taxes), but the only land is in PB. im looking for something under 500k (pref under400k) but it looks like I need to be around lake worth to have that happen. closer to broward increases the price which is where i prefer. I think i missed out on iso bella estate homes as they had good homes & prices. besides canyon & well view& parkland is there any other communties slated w/i 2yr? what is ur opinion of those communities?

Answers

13
Marilyn Farb…, Agent, PALM BEACH, FL
Sun Jul 21, 2013
I have sold homes in GL communities: Valencia Falls, the Bridges, Valencia Reserve, and my clients are very happy with the construction, etc. Keep in mind that you should take your agent with you f irst time you go there or the builders won't let you have your own agent. You should have someone represent YOUR interests, and the agent at the community works for THE SELLER. The seller pays the commission, soit does not cost you anything to have your own agent. You should have your own representation.

I highly recommend any GL homes community. You will have a manned gate (safety!), good landscaping all over, new clubhouse, many activities and amenities.

If you don't have an agent yet, call me and let's talk. There is a new Valencia Cove in Boynton, probably takes a year to build, and you get your choice of the newest most beautiful finishes, kitchens, appliances, bathroom items, flooring, etc.

Best wishes,
Marilyn Jacobs
561-638-9818
marilynfjacobs@gmail.com
Jeffrey Ray & Associates
Web Reference:  http://www.marilynjacobs.com
I have kids, valencia cove is 55+ and up
Flag Sun Jul 21, 2013
Craig Fialko…, Agent, Wellington, FL
Sun Jul 21, 2013
GL homes has a good reputationa does Ansca. Ansca is a smaller developer. Pulti Divosta used to to be better.

Minto builds high volume low quality.

I do think builders overall are getting better since they are not under pressure to pump out homes at breakneck pace.

I offer 1% credit at closing if you use me to represent you with any builder on a new home purchase.
What does that mean 1% credit? Doesnt realtors charge the seller and not the buyer?
Flag Sun Jul 21, 2013
Mee08, Home Owner, Land O' Lakes, FL
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Im looking to be moved in within 2 years. my daughter starts kindergarden then. Im also looking for cheaper HOAs & Taxes. Thus why west lake worth looks like to be the best area. Its close to broward and there is a lot of land that is still afforable. Too bad there arent too many non Deed areas that have available lots. Most that do are over 1 acre (which is a lot for me) and over 200k which is too high for me as well. I am looking at under 1/2 acre for under 150k. I did find 2 lots like that, but I didnt like the homes in one and seller pulled his listing on the other after being in discussions with them for 6 months.. Thats how we lost an opportunity with iso bella as we kept waiting. My own advice is to wait it out as Im sure there will be more estate homes being build in lake worth, and I just have to wait. Some times taking your own advice is hard. So what say you? I am sure some of you will try to offer your services and I find someone's advice really worthwhile, I may do that. As it is hard for me to keep visiting the area living in Tampa.
looking for homes between 3000-4200 sq ft. As I dont want to spend my entire paycheck on taxes, insurance,etc ;)
Flag Sun Jul 21, 2013
Nina.e.rusk, Home Buyer, Boynton Beach, FL
Wed Feb 22, 2017
DO NOT BUY a GL HOME. All smoke and mirrors. They will say anything to get you to buy! Buyer Beware! Go somewhere else if you want to be happy in the end. Everything is an upgrade- everything and the basics are cheap and ugly. Their model homes are beautiful but you are not buying a model home. Do your homework!!
Rime60, Home Buyer, Boynton Beach, FL
Thu Aug 22, 2013
Stay away from Hovnanian. Does not build a quality home. We just sold ours in SC and found major structural flaws from new construction. Very disappointed and costly. Home warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on. Just remember, the $100,000 homes AND the$700,000 homes are built by the same cheap labor. Everyone needs a top-notch home inspector, who is not tied to your realtor.
I bought a Hovanian home on Florida. Complete garbage, looked pretty, but not well constructed. Our entire subdivision sued them to fix gutters they installed in the wrong size throughout the community. Water overflowed the gutters cause they decided to saveca few pennies. Stay away Houvanian is horrible
Flag Sat Oct 14, 2017
Joan Dembros…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Another area that offers new construction and in my opinion would be worth your consideration is Wellington.....there are a number of new communities in the Wellington area that meet your criteria.

With limited re-sale inventory in the current real estate market, I'm finding many buyers are turning to new construction as a solution to the home buying process.

Depending on your timeline to buy, why not consider a trip to the area and enjoy a a tour of the new communities that might work for you.

Joan Dembroski, REALTOR, ABR, CDPE
Realty Associates FL Properties
561.758.3511
joandembroski@bellsouth.net
http://www.realtyassociates.com/joandembroski
Salvatore Sa…, Home Seller, Lake Worth, FL
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Hello, I am excited to have started sales in 2 new unique communities for Lennar. Capistara in Lake Worth is a great gated community,with new homes from 300,000s to 400,000s. We also just started Aspen Glen in Boynton Beach, which offers great pool homes. We are offering incredible pre construction pricing and grand opening incentives.

I work by appt only until sales office opens, you can contact me at 954-549-5954 or salvatore.salamone@lennar.com for more info
Mee08, Home Owner, Land O' Lakes, FL
Mon Jul 29, 2013
isnt that a 55+ community?
Yes it is 55 plus, but the 80/20 is not complete, therefore an adult not yet 55 can purchase one of the very few available. Narmo L. Ortiz 561 706 5815
Flag Tue Jul 30, 2013
Narmo L. Ort…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Mon Jul 29, 2013
The best built homes are at Tivoli Reserve in Hagen Ranch Rd. Only 220 homes, all sidewalks and walkways are pavered, beautifully landscaped individual lots. No zero lots. Mediterranean at its best.
Just call me at 561 706 5815, and I will show you some beauties with or without a pool. Narmo L. Ortiz, Balistreri Realty International, in business since 1964.
Joan Dembros…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Mon Jul 22, 2013
In my opinion, a beautiful new community that would be worth your consideration is Osprey Oaks (see my Trulia post, 7/21/13, New Construction in Palm Beach County). The builder is CC Devco Homes, a Codina-Carr Company, which was founded on the principle of providing families with high-quality, new homes at affordable prices in communities around the state that have been hand selected for their location, schools and amenities.

Osprey Oaks is located in suburban Lake Worth and spans one of the most desirable and conveniently located areas in Palm Beach County. Easy access to I-95, Florida Turnpike, many amenities, recreational activities and excellent schools that have made the area such a perfect place for families to live and play!

The community is gated, and offering 171 sites......no zero lot lines!! At this time the prices for the homes range from $359,990 - $446,990. The 5 model homes include features that are usually considered upgrades in other communities......every home includes handsome exteriors and spacious interiors with designer touches seen throughout!

If you'd like to see the community, please contact me and I'll be happy to make arrangements to show you the model homes at Osprey Oaks and also if you'd like, we could look at other new construction communities in Palm Beach County.

Joan Dembroski, REALTOR, ABR, CDPE
Realty Associates FL Properties
joandembroski@bellsouth.net
561.758.3511
I found it, and im not impressed with the area surrounding it. West of turnpike I know it will be brand new, but around this area it has been settled and I dont see much improvement for a while. I appreciate the feedback.
Flag Mon Jul 22, 2013
where are these homes located?
Flag Mon Jul 22, 2013
Lu Cohen, Agent, Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Valencia cove is 55+ but Marilyn is right GL is a good builder and stands behind its product :) . Don't forget resales .... There many over acre lots with older homes that have been updated. I have a list :)
Im looking for a newish home built after 2002 when the building code was upgraded in florida.
Flag Sun Jul 21, 2013
Lu Cohen, Agent, Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Toll brothers is really wonderful. There are a few lots left in the area you are describing. They are a national builder with a solid reputation and quality products. How do I know? I am on their board of Realtor Advisors. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions.
Mee08, Home Owner, Land O' Lakes, FL
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Are there any addons being sold that actually do improve resale? My preferred home would have marble downstairs and wood upstair. Kitchen island with many wood cabinets for pantry use and storage. 1 big walkin closet (10x12, wife wants that) walkin shower and tub. Better insulation and windows and A/C. Is any of these items wasted? Im sure energy efficiency is usually wasted money.
Energy efficiency will be a benefit to you for monthly utility bill savings and resale. Although depending on the length of time you intend to live in the home it is possible to overspend and not recoup all of the savings yourself. All of the builders mentioned here are considered quality builders in our area. Prior to opening my own company I worked at GL Homes for a few years. Any production home builder(GL Homes, Toll Brothers, etc) will provide you with a cheaper house on a cost per square foot basis compared to building a house yourself. This affordability comes at the cost of minimal options and/or limited ability to make changes( upgrading A/C, energy efficiency upgrades, layout changes(larger walk in closets, etc) The upgrades and options that are available from the big builders are considerably more expensive than the same option installed yourself with a private builder. Call/email with questions. Mark Phinney Premier Builders 561-239-9839 premierbuildersfl@gmail.com
Flag Tue Jul 30, 2013