I am looking at the houses in Canyon Trails. Any feedback in the quality of the houses by GL or the development in general?

Asked by Hicksox, Wed Mar 14, 2012

Any. F red back on the buying process? Are prices negotiable on new constuction? Any "tips" to get the most for our money?
Thanks!!

Answers

19
JEJM, Home Buyer, Boynton Beach, FL
Tue Dec 17, 2013
We are currently building a house in Canyon Trails. Everything has been extremely smooth and GL has been wonderful. Yes, it is true what one of the comments said about the models not being what you get, but the normal buyer realizes this. We are spending about $35,000 for upgrades and that is about average. It is annoying some of the things they charge for. For example---our model has a huge loft upstairs. There is no cable outlet included in the loft---it is an extra. This outlet is $120. Why wouldn't that be included? Who doesn't put a TV in a loft???? Just little things like that are annoying. My husband said he wishes the house were about $5000 more, but had more included, so he didn't feel like they were nickel and diming us for everything.
For us, new construction was the answer. We are building brand new for the same price that we could have gotten an 8-10 year old home for in Canyon Lakes. We looked at resales but many were very overpriced for the age and condition of the house. A lot of the resales in the 400-450K range needed new kitchens, pools resurfaced, new AC units...etc, etc. It just made sense to get exactly what we wanted by building new.
Definitely do your research, but GL has been an excellent company to deal with so far.
GL is great to deal with. Not everything will be perfect but no matter what you find wrong they are awesome at
coming back and making it right...
Flag Wed Apr 13, 2016
marc jablon, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Sat Oct 5, 2013
If you're looking for a home in Canyon Trails, you may want to consider a resale. Even though you will not have designed the home to your exact specifications, you will be able to purchase a relatively new home for comparatively less than the current cost of building your own Canyon Trails home.

Currently, there are 6 available. Ask your Boynton Beach real estate agent to send you the current list.

Marc Jablon, the Jablon Team
Re/Max Complete Solutions
JablonTeam@gmail.com
561-213-6139
http://www.JablonTeam.com
Randy Tedder, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Tue Sep 17, 2013
Prices on new construction are NOT negotiable.
Prices on resales are based primarily on re sales and are more predictable. New construction pricing is based on the builders projection of the economy and speculation.

Gl makes a quality product. Toll brothers even better. The trick is up grades. Remember your up grades add to the overall cost of the home and therefor become part of your purchase price. Meaning you are paying taxes on the upgrades. One consideration is to take the credit for the flooring and do the floors after you close.

You can easily reduce your purchase price by 10,000.00. I would also advise you go into a home under construction to get a feel for how a home will most likely look that does't have 300,000.00 worth
of up grades. The home can look and feel completely different. The models ( sad to say ) create a smoke and mirror effect. Models are designed to make you think your getting more than you are.

Personally I prefer new construction because of the ability to personalize every aspect of the home. Additional there are always improvements in efficiency like air conditioning and weather proofing.
Also our taste and designs are always changing so new homes look more like what we want. When is the las time you were in a home with a sunken living room or an 8 ft ceiling. New construction is now 10 ft with the living rooms and bed room having a coffered or tray look. Take a look at the options for back splashes in the Kitchen. extra Cabinets or walk in pantry.

Make sure you ask a lot questions and do research.

Here is what I mean. If your not paying attention you can miss out on an option you would have taken but just did not know about: for example :
Most people do not know in some cases your garage can be built out another 2 feet to allow for longer cars. If your car doesn't fit in the garage guess what ... you buy another car.
If you wanted a larger second bed room GL has a 4 bed room home that can be made into a 3 bed room where now you have a very large 3rd bed room ( like a mnl suite ).

I strongly advise you to sit with a sales associate prior to giving them a deposit to review the closing cost. New construction can be more or less than buying a resale. You have builders fees that you don't have with re sale. Also this can be waived in some cases as can the title insurance if you go with the builders title co.

Make sure you go over all the fees and then sit down and add up the options. YOu will find the average persons ends up putting in another 50k to 75k in options just to make the home look more like what the model did. Remembering the model has 200 to 300k in options.

Here is an example. you decide to up grade to wood cabinets with upgraded moldings. Thought you were done? Not even close... The center Island you loved is 700.00 extra. You loved the way the cabinets were different hight's over the stove. another 800.00 Oh and you wanted your class doors
other than side by side or more than 2 .... another 300.00 to 800.00 Get the picture

Another consideration. There are other risks with new construction to consider. The builder does not have to finish building your new community or make it look like the virtual conception. ( read the fine print ) should the economy slip the builder can put everything on hold even stop all together.
Many communities have been started by one builder and after several years of nothing finished by different builder. I have never seen this with Gl, lennar or Toll brothers though.
Peter Mergen…, Agent, WEST PALM BEACH, FL
Mon Jul 8, 2013
Peter Mergenthaler, Broker, Lake Worth, FL
The canyon communities are exceptional in my opinion!!! GL builds more than homes they build communities that are consistently in demand. Sunset Palms Elementary is an amazing school located minutes from the community and next to the urgent care in the Canyon Plaza. Our plaza hosts a little of everything you need close to home and more. You could not want more from a builder that you get from a GL product. Please let me assist you there are many properties for sale in the Canyon communities. If you go to http://www.buycanyon.com and click the link it will take you to all the active MLS listings is all the Canyon communities. I can assist you with new construction as well as resales. Please let know how I can help you!
Talbot Sutter, Agent, Boynton Beach, FL
Fri Jun 7, 2013
Hicksox,

I have a home listed at 8452 Calabria Lakes Dr. Check it out and if you have any interest please give me a call and we will set up a showing.
Talbot Sutter
Illustrated Properties
561-512-8505
Violetta Pol…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Mon Oct 1, 2012
I am a local Canyon expert and will gladly help you with new home building/buying process. There are many tips I know and will share with you.

Violetta Polyakov
Broker/Owner
Florida Home Consulting, Inc
(561) 767-8864
Hampsey, Home Buyer, Boynton Beach, FL
Fri Aug 24, 2012
If you do decide to go with GL Homes, make sure that before you close and move into your new home, you have inspected every detail. Once you move in, it is a huge hassle to get the repair work done. They will sent incompetent workers to you house, waisting you time as you have to make arrangements to be home... just to have them show up and say "oh, we don't do that work." This goes on and on until they wear you down and you just give up and hire your own professionals.
Joel & Canda…, , Palm Beach County, FL
Thu Jun 21, 2012
I have a blog on my web site. One of them is all about GL Homes. The address for those videos are below. Candace (my wife) and i specialize in Active Adult Communities. Our web site features 30 of the most popular ones including all 7 of the GL Homes Valencia series.
Visit http://www.TheHarelikTeam.com or http://www.561HomeSales.com
Call us if you have any more questions. Hope to hear from you

http://youtu.be/Cw1PQ0mNZFc
GL Homes / Valencia Video 1

http://youtu.be/hgo1N2EFDmw
GL Homes The Valencia Series 2

Joel Harelik
The Harelik Team
Coldwell Banker
561-374-4030
Elizabeth Vo…, Agent, Atlantis, FL
Fri Mar 16, 2012
GL homes have had a good reputation in South Florida and have new construction projects in West Palm Beach and Delray Beach in addition to Canyon Trails. I have happily owned a GL home for almost 20 years and have sold new construction and resales in Canyon Lakes, Canyon Isles, and Canyon Springs. The Canyon Trails community is about 25% sold. Build time is about 10-12 months from contract although they do have quick delivery inventory models available. The first phase of their clubhouse has been completed and they anticipate finishing the second phase by year end. It pays to have a tour of the completed Canyon communities to give you an idea of what Canyon Trails will look like, although the homes are being built on a smaller scale. Prices can be negotiated on new construction however more likely as a community is nearing completion. You can get a good discount on closing costs by using GL's preferred lender. A Realtor can represent you as a buyer's agent at no additional cost to you (I do not charge processing fees) and give you that extra support you may need while dealing with sales staff and any bumps in the road that may occur during the buying process. Only a Realtor can show you area resales, foreclosures, etc. for comparison.

Please feel free to get in touch if you would like the assistance of an experienced Realtor in your buying journey.

Liz Voehringer. Broker
Northstar Realty of the Palm Beaches
561-906-0168
marc jablon, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Thu Mar 15, 2012
If you're looking for a home in Boynton Beach, Canyon Trails is an excellent community. Built by GL Homes, who are famous for the Valencia Communities in Boynton Beach, Delray Beach and Lake Worth, Canyon Trails homes will give you fine design, well built homes, and plenty of extra amenities.

If you're going to purchase a home in Canyon Trails, bring your Boynton Beach realtor with you. There is no cost to you to have this representation, and your Boynton Beach real estate agent will make sure your interests are fully represented when it comes time to negotiate with the builder.

While pricees in Canyon Trails are rarely negotiable, the extras that the builder offers you may be. Your Boynton Beach realtor will help to make sure you get the best possible package and the best possible price for your Canyon Trails home in Boynton Beach.

Marc Jablon, The Jablon Team
RE/MAX Complete Solutions
JablonTeam@gmail.com
561-213-6139
http://www.JablonTeam.com
Hicksox, Home Buyer,
Thu Mar 15, 2012
Thank you all for your helpful answers, if I decide on a GL home I will do so with confidence!
Nicole Marks…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Thu Mar 15, 2012
GL Homes makes good houses. They have a great reputation and their homes,w ith all of the lovely amenities, are beautiful. It has been my experience (I've sold in Canyon) that new construction prices are not negotiable. The agent will tell you it's because they are giving you so many "extras" and the truth is, oftentimes they are. I recommend that you have a Realtor represent you in every real estate transaction because you want someone advocating just for you. That individual will get you the most for your money and keep the buying process smooth and easy.

Please let me know if I can be of further help to you.

Nicole Marks Mason, Realtor
http://www.buysellboca.com
561-445-8743
Lloyd Taylor, Agent, Boynton Beach, FL
Thu Mar 15, 2012
Great Community, very sought after. GL Home is one of the most active and best quality builders in the area. They are realiable and ultra professional. There Prices are usually non-negotiable for the benefit of the community value. What they will normally negotiate on is the upgrades. Tailored Realty highly recommends Canyon Trails and GL Homes and we would love to represent you and your interest in buyer this home. Contact my partner Janet Lacondrata at 561-255-4669 and she will walk with you through the process from begining to end.
Tom Priester, Agent, Tequesta, FL
Thu Mar 15, 2012
Dear Hicksox,

Canyon Trails, as you know, is GL Homes newest subdivision in western Boynton Beach located just west go the Florida Turnpike and south of Boynton Beach Boulevard off Acme Dairy Road. GL Homes has been at it a long time and they enjoy a fantastic reputation from their designs to the quality of their construction and in today's market still offer tremendous value.

As a new development you will be living in a construction zone for a while so that is something you will need to consider. Please do not go it alone in the buying process as a qualified Realtor does not cost you a penny and their insight can be valuable. I used to work new homes sales and with a background in custom home building there are many things that someone like me will bring to the table to ensure you make the best choices possible. First, you can negotiate some prices and builders do offer incentives. Your best deals will be made on inventory homes but keep in mind that the lot selection and upgrades you choose will both have an effect on your purchase price as well as the future value of the property.

Carefully consider your options as you have many resale options in other GL Homes developments and other areas. A thorough review of your specific needs is needed to ensure you are not only buying a home that will meet your family's requirements but also to ensure you are making the best possible investment.

The very best of luck to you and I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Marilyn Farb…, Agent, BOYNTON BEACH, FL
Thu Mar 15, 2012
Have sold GL homes, no complaints from my buyers. GL has reputation for top quality materials and labor, and their employees are "on the spot" if any fixup is needed. There are not many homes still available in Canyon Trails, and there may be specials right now. It is an "all ages" community.

Happy to work with you so that you wind up with the home of your dreams, ALL NEW, and very pretty!

Marilyn Jacobs
Jeffrey Ray & Associates, Palm Beach
561-302-3388
marilynfjacobs@gmail.com

ht5tp://www.MarilynJacobs.com
Todd Kevitch, Agent, Boynton Beach, FL
Wed Mar 14, 2012
I have had an all-around positive experience with GL Homes. It is a good sign that GL will still be around after your purchase with their warranty team. If any issues arise after closing, they will be glad to repair or replace if necessary. As some of the posts have already described, you would be best to negotiate on upgrades and features not readily supplied in their models.

Todd Kevitch
BPO Realty LLC
5614009376
http://www.bporealty.com
Nadine Mauro, Agent, Lake Worth, FL
Wed Mar 14, 2012
I've had several customers buy GL homes. All have been happy with the quality of the homes they've purchased.

GL will do a walkthrough with you. If you see any issues that you wish to have addressed they will make a list and make arrangements to fix any issues you have.

They are currently running specials on some of their models. Please contact me directly and I will be happy to help you. Basically, GL does not negotiate on the price of their homes. If you work with an agent such as myself, we may be able to negotiate part of the commission paid to me to be applied to your closing costs.

If I can be of further service, please contact me directly. I look forward to working with you.

Nadine Mauro
Highlight Realty
561-414-0864
NadineSellsHouses@gmail.com
http://www.floridahouseseller.com
Paul Saperst…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Wed Mar 14, 2012
Have a agent like myself represent you in this transaction free of charge! Please call or email me to discuss the details.

Paul Saperstein
Re/Max Advantage Plus
Real Estate Broker-Associate
Direct Line 561-251-5296
Toll Free 1-888-363-5910
Fax 561-455-9884
Email paulsap@fdn.com
http://www.paulsaperstein.com

Please click on this link to view a 45 second personal introduction video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwoJTyNldLw

Please click on this link to view Newsletter Housing Trends Newsletter: http://paulsaperstein.housingtrendsenewsletter.com

Please click on this link to view Homegain Premiere Club Certificate http://images.homegain.com/download/clubs/certificate?ai=222…

"DON'T MAKE A MOVE WITHOUT ME!"
Diane Balsara, Agent, Boynton Beach, FL
Wed Mar 14, 2012
GL Homes has been a builder in S Florida for at least 20 years. They stand behind their product and have a great reputation. You can generally get more features and upgrades than you can get a price reduction. Price reductions would be public record and the builder would be at a disadvantage in their pricing for the next customer whereas upgrades are not. Look more towards upgrades and incentives rather than a price reduction. You will find some short sales and foreclosures as well in these subdivisions going for less than the builders price.