I am considering selling my 2003 built condo. Since my condo is fairly new, do I still need to order the 3R reports & water conservation

Asked by Dale, San Francisco, CA Sun Apr 29, 2012

inspection? I can understand the 3R report, but I think the water conservation inspection is a waste of money. Why does the city force home owners to pay for someone hundreds of dollar just to check the water flow on a shower head?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Apr 30, 2012
Unfortunately, the answer is yes. And like the others I agree - it's a total money grab on the part of the city. And for it top be required every time the property is sold is even more of a scam.

That aside, you have picked a very good time to sell - the market has really heated up in the last few months. Lots of properties are seeing multiple over ask offers, but you need the right representative to get the most out of your investment. Choose wisely and interview a few before deciding. This is our business so drop me a line for a no-strings consult - you'll be glad you did.

Best Regards,

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
DRE# 01384425
0 votes
Dale, Both Buyer And Seller, San Francisco, CA
Mon Apr 30, 2012
Yes, I think it is a bit of a scam too. Who voted for this kind of law? We are already paying a huge sum for city transfer tax. The report itself is not a lot of money relative to the SF home price, but all these costs are burden to the buyers & sellers, and made the housing situation worse in the city in my opinion.

Do they have to same requirements in San Mateo county? I am thinking of moving further south.
0 votes
Steve Gallag…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Hi Dale
it is a bit of a scam from the city for revenue but every sale has to have a water conservation inspection for every sale, even new homes built in the last year. crazy
0 votes
gabrielle da…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Apr 29, 2012

Despite your frustration with these disclosures, they are mandatory. Aside from enforcing standards and regulations and providing you with the buidling permit history (3R), these report are also a revenue stream for the city, of course.

Feel free to call me at 415-200-7202.
0 votes
Bob Evans, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Apr 29, 2012
I understand your frustration. The 3 R is required to protect you from future liability. The conservation law is also required but As a Realtor I pay for that requirement as a "Thank You" for choosing me as your Realtor. Certainly you would not choose me for that benefit alone but because of the Seller results of my past 37 Condo sales. If you have other questions just give me a call a (415) 308-5902.
0 votes
Matt Ciganek, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Hi-The other replies are correct, of course. You just need to call an agent! The agent will order those reports or help you do so while getting the property ready for sale. You shouldn't need to do anything yourself. For a standard commission, your agent will gather all the required information you'll need for sale including these reports. A good agent will also help you prepare the property for sale so that it can be seen in it's best light. This might include getting quotes from staging companies, doing touch-up work or even painting some or all of the property. Feel free to give me a call (at no obligation) to discuss further. Thanks!-Matt Ciganek

0 votes
Kevin Ho, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Most every sale, even tear-downs, must go through the energy and water inspection or have some money left in escrow in SF. Plus, this item cant be cattle-traded like other items during escrow.
Besides energy standards have changed within the past 2 years. The good thing is the inspection is quick and should be straightforward given the relative newness of your construction. Plus, you can wait until you're in contract in escrow before you do this type of inspection and subsequent work. I like City Insulation with Patrick and Paul, the inspection usually runs around $200 and many remedial work needed should be minimal in your case.

And speaking of three 3R reports, this is definitely required. The wait times from application to the BDI to having thrm in hand is more than 10 to 12 days long. Ive heard some deals are delayed bc of the backlog. So you better order it quickly. Cost should be $165. At least they just announced they will accept applications online now.p
0 votes
Oggi Kashi, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Yes, both are required. The water inspection needs to be done on every sale. This is the city's way of enforcing the water regulations, especially the low-flow toilet requirement.

Oggi Kashi - 415.690.3792 direct
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
0 votes
Seth Skolnick, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Hi Dale,

Yes. Unfortunately they are mandated disclosures!

Good Luck,

0 votes
Michael Young, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Yes, all properties require the 3R and the water conservation report.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more