I am a new real estate agent and have the opportunity of joining an existing team, what is the financial benefit to join a team? And should I do it?

Asked by Lmclean34, Charlotte, NC Sat Jan 5, 2013

Answers

4
Joan Baines, Agent, Voorhees, NJ
Sat Jan 5, 2013
As a new real estate agent there is a lot to learn. Financially, you would benefit from the advise and instructions given to you by existing team membes. Having said that, it would depend on the team. If the team has a stellar reputation and is recommended by your peers, then by all means do it. Good luck!
Ines De La C…, Agent, Marlton, NJ
Sat Jan 5, 2013
Hello Lmclean34,
Thank you for your question.
First of all congratulations for obtaining your real estate license. It is a beautiful career.
Regarding team or no team. I would recommend you look at your personality first. Are you a type A personality and get things done or you need people to tell you what to do? How is the broker at that office? Do they provide training? Not sure what company you are considering but at RE/MAX we get all sorts of training.
You can learn a lot from experience agents while being on a team and then go on your own. You also have to see what the team leader offers you and what items you will need to pay for. Do your numbers?
When I started, I was on my own and I am still on my own. I wanted people to meet me and want me to work for them. Most of my clients are referrals now which is an easier way to work.
I know succesful teams and happy team members but everyone is different and what may work for one may not work for other.
Anyways good luck in your future.
Ines De La Cruz, Realtor, ABR, CRS
RE/MAX Connection
http://www.inesdelacruz.com
Patricia Wa…, Agent, Lake Oswego OR, OR
Sat Jan 5, 2013
Team Work-Team Work! Lot's to learn from a team of experienced agents. That in itself is priceless!
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sat Jan 5, 2013
Lmclean,
It really depends on you. I agree with Joan, there is so much to learn that for most agents, starting on a team where you will be busy right away and be able to learn some of the process and develop some good practices is a great way to start.
On the other hand, a new agent who has a great broker/trainer, a large list of contacts to potentially draw business from and a lot of dedication, could conceivably do better on their own.
Just be realistic as to which one of these descriptions really fit who you are and your circumstances.