I am a high school teacher in Boston and am looking for summer employment. Someone suggested getting my

Asked by Ks, Boston, MA Wed May 7, 2008

salesperson license. Is this a job that I could do part time or does it always require more of a commitment?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Sun Jun 1, 2008
I concur with most of the others. If you get involved with real estate sales- or even mortgage sales- you likely won't net a dime this summer even after some weeks and months of work and training. But it should pay off a number of months down the road.
Just a note as well- don't assume you'll pass the RE exam easily. Nationally, of all people that take the exam for the first time, only 45% of those people will pass it. Taking a state-specific class and putting aside some time every day or so is the best way to know you'll do well.
I also agree that maybe rental/ leasing sales may be a good foot in the door and provide you with some actual income this summer.
Good luck,

Ken L.
0 votes
Angela Gando…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Thu May 8, 2008
It is definitely more of a full time commitment. Many people don't realize the expenses involved in this industry - license fees, association dues, signs, business cards, renewal classes - it is worth it if it is your career but most part timers find it too expensive.
0 votes
Trey Bowden, , Edmond, OK
Thu May 8, 2008
Sounds as if you're not afraid to get out and meet people. You might try one of the mortgage companies in your area and see if they are looking for a marketing person. This could be a good way to make some money and meet some realtors who could help you decide if real estate is in your blood.

Good Luck!

Trey Bowden
(405) 340-3277
0 votes
Robert Byrne, , 02118
Thu May 8, 2008
You should paint houses not try to sell them, you'll make more money in the three months of the summer. Real Estate is a career not a hobby. Buyers and Sellers deserve an agent who is going to give them full time professional representation. Enter real estate when you retire from teaching and can devote all your effort to it.
0 votes
Ryan Wanger, , 80304
Wed May 7, 2008
You might want to think about becoming an agent that just does rentals. Haven't done it myself, but you have to take the same class ($200 and 24 hours of classtime which can be done in a weekend), plus something like $100? for your license but you probably wouldn't have any of the other fees previously mentioned. Plus, summer is a much bigger time for rentals anyway. The time to do this would be RIGHT NOW, as I'm fairly sure that June and Sept 1 are the biggies.
0 votes
Michael Giles, Agent, Beverly, MA
Wed May 7, 2008
Hi Ks,
There is a way that you could make this work for you and it can be a year round thing. Once you get your license you can classify it as inactive. (meaning your license is current but you are not activly selling Real Estate). By doing this your only costs would be to renew the license in two years and pay for the 12 hours of CEU classes necessary to renew.

With a current inactive license you can be paid referral fees for any client that you send to an active agent that closes on a property with that agent.

There are a few things you should do to protect your interests. feel free to contact me if you would like to explore this further.
0 votes
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Wed May 7, 2008
Ks, if you're planning on getting a job for the summer, and expecting that job to give you "income", that first summer, real estate is probably the wrong choice.

There are lots of small start-up costs, involved in getting started as a real estate agent: Signage, business cards, MLS fees, NAR dues, E&O Insurance... etc. It's more likely that becoming a REagent over the summer will cost you money, than make you money.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more