Howard Johnson and Eminent Domain

Asked by Bobby Woofter, Boston, MA Fri Jun 29, 2012

The Howard Johnson hotel in the Fenway right next to the ball park is a very valuable parcel of land whose owners do not want to sell. A run down hotel is clearly not a very good use of the space. Traffic and parking issues on game days severely effect the area. Would it be a good use of eminent domain to take the Howard Johnson hotel in order to build a large parking garage or mixed use facility to improve the area and ease the traffic and parking congestion of the Fenway area?

Answers

4
Diane,, Home Owner, Hyde Park, MA
Sat Jul 7, 2012
Because government doesn't have too much power already? Who decides what is run down, ugly, or unacceptable? And the last thing Boston needs is more parking spaces so that more people drive into the city. Hello? Big Dig anyone? Ya, that worked well...
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Bobby,

The owners can make their own economic decisions, as they have the right too. They had intented to redevelop it at one point and I'm sure under the right circumstances they will again.

The owners of our sports teams have the right to relocate and or sell their teams which new owners may even move out of state.

Fenway park is also valuable piece of land, should we take that by eminent domain?
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
I thought BU is the owner? What you call the Howard Johnson Hotel is now being used as a dorm.

A better question would be: Should eminent domain be used to take property from one private owner to give to another? I say no.

I know the Supreme court ruled otherwise in the Kelo decision but that did not make it right.

So the short answer is NO. What makes you think its a good idea? Do you think its government's right simply because its a "run down" or "ugly" property?

http://www.ij.org/victimizing-the-vulnerable-eminent-domain-…