How painful is the process of Lot Line Adjustment in the city of Seattle?

Asked by Lucia Thoreby, BELLEVUE, WA Tue Apr 26, 2011

Answers

4
Daniel Bretzke’s answer
Daniel Bretz…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Apr 26, 2011
In my former career I reviewed lot line adjustments for another City. Lot line adjustments are covered under State law as an exemption from the subdivision code. The key is to show that what you are proposing is really a lot line adjustment between two lots, and not a subdivision. The other bar is that you cannot make a situation less conforming. So, in short lot line adjustments are really not hard at all if you have a clear concept of what you want to accomplish, and hire professionals to assist you. You can talk with a City land use planner at the City for specifics. I would be glad to take a look at your situation if you want to send me an email with the particulars.
Aaron Byrd, Agent, Kent, WA
Tue Apr 26, 2011
It is rediculously painful. I would try and determine the added value of the adjustment to your client and see if they are willing to proceed after they have a good grasp of the pros and cons...good luck.
Ray Akers, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Apr 26, 2011
'Painful' is the operative word. If you (or your client) have no previous experience with DPD then I recommend you find someone that has experience working with DPD. You speak 'real estate' and DPD speaks 'development'. I've assisted clients with re-zones and lot-line adjustments and it's more time consuming and frustrating than you can imagine.

You'd be better off hiring a professional with expertise in lot division rather than trying to do this yourself.
Brett Frosak…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Apr 26, 2011
I've recently heard you can't get an appointment with dpd until June. Once there, it is no more difficult than any other permit unless you need some sort of variance.