How much, if any, has the recent crackdown on hiring illegal immigrants hurt the construction industry?

Asked by Rosie Bolin, Raleigh, NC Sat Dec 29, 2007

I know builders often pay workers under the table. Is this still continuing at the same rate? If not, is it already starting to affect the cost of new construction? My assumption is that we're looking at a ripple effect in the near future, but I'd love your feedback!

Answers

3
William, Home Seller, 18951
Sat Dec 29, 2007
The contractor may have a SSN but that doesn't mean all their workers do!

In our area, the darned new homes keep going up, the prices keep going down, they're not slowing down new developments, and they're sucking up buyers from the resale pool so I think life is good for builders. Personally I hope the crackdown drive new construction prices up a bit so we get a few more buyers in the resale market!
Rosie Bolin, , Raleigh, NC
Sat Dec 29, 2007
I can't say I disagree, William. This is an issue in our area as well, which is why I asked the question. It would be great to see new construction competing less with resale.

I know one of the "loopholes" has been that undocumented workers provide a SSN without being "legal." Now, there is a stronger crackdown on providing actual paperwork. This has affected many industries in our area.

I've read quite a few articles about this recently. Here's an AZ story:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2188/story/844594.html

It will be interesting to see what unfolds....
Realtor, ,
Sat Dec 29, 2007
That's a good question. But, I don't think a licensed contractor will risk hiring someone without a social security number. It's also not up to the contractor to determine if the card is legit. So I don't think it will hurt the industry at all. Just my opinion.