How many of you have heard about the negative impact of the Super Homestead Exemption for Florida?

Asked by Damion Boyce, The Boyce Team, Lakeland, FL Tue Sep 25, 2007

Answers

4
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Tue Sep 25, 2007
Damion,
For now, the "Super Homestead Exemption" is off the table.

"...A tax-slashing amendment is off the Jan. 29 presidential primary ballot - at least temporarily - after a judge Monday ruled an accompanying explanation for voters is unconstitutionally misleading and inaccurate..."

Please see the complete article (in Web Reference line below) from the "Gainesville Sun" for more details.
Damion Boyce,…, Agent, Lakeland, FL
Tue Sep 25, 2007
The Super Homestead Exemption applies to only Florida homestead property. It would not apply to second homes or income property. The most interesting part of this proposal is that Floridians with homesteaded property would lose (sooner or later) the Save Our Homes Cap.
Captain Pat, , Moving
Tue Sep 25, 2007
Can you explain more about what you are talking about? I own a second home in Florida and do not spend enough time there to keep up. This sounds like something I should know more about.
Christine Bo…, Agent, Gainesville, FL
Tue Sep 25, 2007
As a Realtor, the biggest negative impact (in my opinion) is happening NOW. So many sellers & buyers are sitting on the fence. Potential sellers are waiting to see if they should "upsize" or "downsize". And buyers are waiting to see what MAY happen. Our paper this morning says that a judge in Jacksonville is getting the issue removed from the ballot. So we may not have any decision to make in January.

This is a decision most homeonwers will make based on their individual issues. My example is that I have lived in my home since 1995 and I have a large SOH value on my home. Yet, I don't plan to move anytime soon. Other homeowners may know they will only be in a home for 4-5 years, and the other super exemption option would be better for them.