How expensive is it for water when you are useing well water and how long do sepict systems last before they need to be cleaned?

Asked by John, Thornton, CO Sat Mar 12, 2011

Answers

5
Kat Tyree, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Tue Aug 27, 2013
The cost of running a pump for your well and maintenance costs are subject to conditions of the well itself and the costs of electricity in the area you live, compared to water. If your well should run dry and you had to put in another, that would blow up any estimate you could make. Being well informed on how other area wells perform will be your best friend in decision making.

Septic systems are also very different, depending on soil conditions, age, etc. In Vail, Az, the recommendation is that they be serviced every 5 years. In my 18 years in Real Estate, I have only had one septic system need a whole new leach field during inspections. Most run relatively symptom free for years. Consult a local septic pumping company for their recommendations.
Matthew Jesc…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Tue Oct 30, 2012
Yeah I totally agree. I have always dealt with city water except as a kid when my parents had a septic and well water.

Our well water was not much of a problem (it was Nebraska) as the water table isn't that far down and the ground is relatively easy to drill in.

However, in other regions it can be nearly impossible to drill a well. I had a relative move to the Black Hills in South Dakota. There's lots of rock in the ground there of course (it's in the mountains) and was insanely expensive to drill the well.

Plus as a kid we did have troubles with our septic. Many times the drain in our laundry room would back up and sewage would come into the house. Was a big mess and my parents had to spend a FORTUNE to get the entire system rebuilt so it would stop doing that. They also had to have the septic pump numerous times when I was a kid.

Also... It gets to be an issue because septic tanks need to be inspected by the county as well. They are a potential problem for disease and contamination of ground water. Many developing nations do not have an infrastructure like we do to manage waste like our public water and sewer systems and they have incredible problems with disease and high mortality rates. Mainly due to sewage and water contamination problems.

I like the idea of being self sufficient, having your own well, and septic. But I think it's better to be on city water and sewer. Depending on your situation it may even be cheaper. One thing I would like to see more of is water reclamation though. Used to water lawns and stuff like that.
Kathy Mazel, , Tucson, AZ
Sun Apr 10, 2011
I have lived in a home for over 30 years that had its own well. Recently tested the water for purity and found it to be very clean ( Tanque Verde Area of Tucson). The cost of having the well has been very minimal all these years and yes you pay to pump the water to a storage tank ( if you wish) but it still costs less than city water and possibly better quality as well. You can use solar power to eliminate the cost of pumping, however the cost of pumping is not that great. In a crises you could have a hand pump. I think having a well is a huge asset. If you are going to drill your own well.... make sure you drill deep enough for your area so that if there is a drought you are deep enough to survive it.

As far as a septic system goes. We put in a new one back in the early 80's as the old one was way to small for a growing family. Pumping a septic can be as little as never to as much as every three -five years depending on your soil that your leaching fields are in. Our soil was sandy so we did not have to pump it ever. Use one cube of bakers yeast in your toilets once a month or use the boxed treatment ( can't remember its name) to keep the bacteria alive that breaks down anything that is in it. This has been my personal experience.
George Szkup, , Tucson, AZ
Sat Mar 12, 2011
Well water is expensive when you look over period of time. Water itself is , of course, free, but ... pump uses electricity and if pumps needs replacement you need to call well people and depending on kind of pump you have cost may go into $2,000 to $,3000. In Sothern and Southwestern Arizona wells generally are deep and pumps are "submersible". They may last 10 or more years but in part this will depend on the type of your soil (slit and sand are destructive). Septic (modern) tanks are cleaned when property is sold (few hundred dollars) and may go for years (if you are lucky). But any kind of earth movement could damage leaching field pipes the tree roots are sometime become a problem. On the other hand - thousands and thousands of people here in Arizona live in the country with water wells and septic tanks.
George in tTcson
Extra benefit for Buyers (limited time offer – contact George for details);
Homes for sale – all price ranges – http://www.LuxuryTucsonRealEstate.net
Destination Tucson – http://bit.ly/2Bnb3f (Monthly Blog)
Twitter - http://bit.ly/e3mCI (Georges’ Tweets)
Trulia - http://www.trulia.com/blog/George_szkup/
Boris Russa…, Agent, Weston, FL
Sat Mar 12, 2011
If you will maintenance by yourself, price is $20-$30 per month.
If you will hire professionals, it will be $50-$100 per month.
Price is also depend of size of well system and usage.
With proper care well system works up to 10-15 years.