General Area in 61820>Question Details

Ros, Other/Just Looking in Illinois

How does Champaign compare to Urbana in schools, crime rates and taxes?

Asked by Ros, Illinois Wed Aug 1, 2007

I have lived in both Champaign and Urbana, and I prefer Urbana's schools. Champaign didn't take much time to help when my son encountered some problems, but Urbana was much better in that regard. However, I have to agree with the other comments: Mahomet, St. Jo, Monticello, are all probably better options for schools.

Crime rates b't Champaign and Urbana are probably really similar - the towns are so intertwined.

There are no city taxes here - only county taxes.
I moved to the area from augusta maine just over three years ago. We were very unhappy with champaigns school of choice, which I believe really isnt your choice at all. We were thinking about urbana but ended up choosing saint joseph. It is the best community! Everyone is very friendly and the school has to be one of the best. There is a brand new middle school and they are expanding the high school.
I have lived in Champaign/Urbana all my life. The taxes are not too bad, and you can find good neighborhoods. I moved me and my kids to Mahomet because of the crime rate and the bomb threats at the schools. The academics were behind and my kids had to work up to the level of Mahomet. I just don't recommend either place. I think Urbana is worse the Champaign only because I experienced it first hand.
Hi Ros,

For comprehensive school information, the following is a great resource.…

As far as crime and other stats, check out:

Cathi Weaver
Web Reference:
For shools in both areas, check out You will find test reports, stats, and parent's input.

For crime rates, check with the local police authorities.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ