The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA

How do you compensate your assistants?

Asked by The Hagley Group, Pleasanton, CA Fri Aug 10, 2007

Curious about any bonus programs you may offer them.

Answers

4
Ellen Chung, , San Mateo, CA
Fri Aug 10, 2007
The most common way of compensating assistants from what I've seen is to give them an annual salary and then with each deal that closes give a bonus depending on the effectiveness, efficiency, and performance on the transaction. I personally believe that the amount of the bonus should depend on the size of the transaction, how difficult it was, etc., but most give assistants a fixed bonus of anywhere from $50-300 for each deal. I know of some other people who go completely on commission, they split their take on the commission with their assistants 60/40 or 70/30, though I only see that rarely.

There are also many Realtors that I know of that have taken on new trainees or interns that are wanting to enter the real estate industry but need experience. For them, there is no salary but there may be bonuses with every closed deal. Hope this helps Cindi!
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Fri Aug 10, 2007
Good question. I believe it varies depending if the assistant is licensed. If they are not liscened you would need to follow DRE regulations.
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Fri Aug 10, 2007
HI,

Some states govern bonus compensation as falling within 'commission' and you need to check into your laws. It can be construed as commisison payment to a non-licensee, if the assistant is not licensed.
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Fri Aug 10, 2007
Most assistants I know get an hourly rate. But there is a bonus system built in. At certain points in of production a bonus is received. The rate varies on the area. Some are given a percentage of each closing.
Web Reference:  http://carriecrowell.com