How do I know what is going on with neighbors house? It's empty. The yard is overgrown, and an eyesore. In the meantime I am trying to sell my

Asked by Lisa, 12547 Sun Apr 29, 2012


Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Barbara A. Wild’s answer
Barbara A. W…, Home Buyer, Milton, NY
Tue May 8, 2012
The town is not going to do a thing about the lawn. This is the country and they are busy fixing roads and such, i say just get the kid next door to mow the land because that house has been vacant awhile and i know just what you mean. If you need help, maybe the neighbors could help you!
0 votes
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Sun Apr 29, 2012
I just want to make a very important point. You can not go onto someone elses property, even if it's to mow the grass without taking into account that it's technically trespassing. Unless there is a hazardous condition you cannot do much about it. See if you can find out who the owner is. Perhaps a local realtor can help you in that endeavor.
1 vote
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Complain to the local town; if possible consider grouping with some other neighbors when filing the complaint...
1 vote
Christopher…, Agent, Methuen, MA
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Here are some ideas for you. Perhaps try asking other neighbors if they know anything. It sounds like they may have abandoned the property. I would check the public records to see if the home is in foreclosure. If they have abandoned the home I don't think there is much you can do through the owners. Perhaps try complaining to the city/town where you live and ask them what you can do because you are concerned about the overgrown grass and health concerns related to the overgrown situation (ticks/animals, etc.). Good luck.
Web Reference:
1 vote
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Wrong question.

Honestly, you don't care what's going on with your neighbor's house. You just want it not to look like an eyesore while you're trying to sell yours. Right?

As for what's going on, your neighbors have abandoned it. It's either been foreclosed on or shortly will be. There's the answer to your wrong question.

The right question is: How do I eliminate the eyesore, and thus don't raise red flags with potential buyers?

That answer is simple: You get someone over there periodically to mow the grass, remove the weeds, etc. You pay for it. (It shouldn't cost that much to get someone out there to mow the grass once a week. Maybe even only once every 2 weeks.

Look: You can complain to your town or city and, if the problem's bad enough, the town or city will try to contact the owners (now the bank) and get them to do something. Nothing will happen. The town or city might actually come out, eventually, and mow the lawn and send the bill to the bank. That's a 1-time fix. It could take months to happen. (You feel like having that eyesore there for months?) You can contact whatever bank foreclosed and ask them to do it. They won't.

Bottom line is: To get rid of the eyesore in a timely fashion, you're going to have to do it yourself. Find a gardener or lawn mowing service. Get them out, and schedule something on a regular basis.

Will the "owners"--the bank--object? No. Will the town or city object? No.

You want to get rid of the eyesore and sell your home? Don't worry about what's going on over there. (I already told you what's going on.) Fix it.

Hope that helps.
0 votes
Your answers were all wrong! I am not allowed to step foot on that property as it is not mine. Thanks but no thanks for your help!
Flag Tue Aug 7, 2012
Edwards Prop…, Agent, New Paltz, NY
Sun Apr 29, 2012

I recently had to research a property for a client in a similar situation, in Ulster county. It can be very confusing to figure out whom owns it and what they are doing. I found this web site helpful - You can also go to your town assessor and they can provide some information. If you have a Realtor, ask them to do these things for you. Often there is not much you can do about it. Best wishes selling your home!
0 votes
Barbara Cart…, Agent, New Paltz, NY
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Hi Lisa,
That is really a problem when trying to sell a property because the first thing a potential buyer sees is the neighborhood.
Are you selling your home through a Realtor? If so ask them to check to see what they can find out. If you are trying to sell your home as a FOR SALE BY OWNER. You can go to the town, Since your zip code is in Milton you would most likely go to the Marlborough Town Hall, and ask if they know what is going on. There are many distressed properties out there that are in foreclosure or in a short sale that are not being maintained, or it can just be an absentee owner that has not had yard maintenance done.
I wish you the best of luck. If I can be of any help feel free to contact me.
Best Regards
Barbara Carter
845 505 3160
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more