How can I verify if a Real Estate Broker is legitimate? I cannot find him on the web or anyArello.com, or any searchable way at all! Selling coop

Asked by Sharon, Brooklyn, NY Mon Mar 26, 2012

I am so afraid of being "taken".
Thanks in advance!

Answers

7
Anna M Brocco’s answer
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Mar 26, 2012
You can ask to see his license, check with the Department State, see link below--also why not simply consider contacting and inviting a few local agents, from different realty offices and interview them in person, then choose the one you like best, and who has the most to offer.
https://appsext7.dos.ny.gov/nydos/selSearchType.do
Marie Souza…, Agent, Centerville, MA
Thu Jun 21, 2012
Well, how did you make out?
Shay Mitchel…, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Mar 26, 2012
search the person on the Department of State website http://www.dos.state.ny.us/licensing Go under the "Search Licensee" tab.
Anna Frantz, Agent, Columbiana, OH
Mon Mar 26, 2012
In Ohio, you can look up anyone by their name and see the status of their license. You would go to the Division of Real Estate and Professional Licensing on Ohio.gov. I'm sure your state has the same thing. I would google your state name and add the words real estate license. Hope this helps
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Mon Mar 26, 2012
Check to see if he's registered, as Anna suggests. That's the best way. A close second: Ask to see his license.

While most agents and brokers have an online presence, some don't. That's not a dependable way of determining if someone's legitimate.

Sharon, , Brooklyn, NY
Mon Mar 26, 2012
He is not online. That bothers me. I hadn't thought of asking for references, I'm new to this game. Thanks!
Marie Souza…, Agent, Centerville, MA
Mon Mar 26, 2012
Have you called them directly? You could ask for references of current clients. Also, check the states licensing board, most are online.