How can I find vesting on title for an child heir after a parent death?

Asked by Deb, 78729 Sun Sep 6, 2009

My brother passed,was married, owned property & 1 son from previous marriage.Son rec'd interest in property on dads death..Found out ONLY after he was sent paperwork to "Convey" his ownership by stepmom.The son is in CO in jail (drugs)and returned a letter to attorney "she can buy him out." They don't get along.She has said "NOT a WORD" to any of our family about this. I need to verify title,or probate records.Thank You

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sun Sep 6, 2009
You could perhaps get the attorney who worked the probate to send you a copy of the will (for a fee), or check with the county were the probate was handled and have the clerk send you a copy for a fee. You could also perhaps get a title company to pull title on the property also for a fee. It may take a while for title to get changed though, so you might not want to pay for this service until you know will is probated and all the documents have been filed with county clerk. ....This all sounds pretty normal to me.....father dies....splits assets among heir doesn't need 10% of the house and would prefer to have the money. Person living in the house prefers to stay in the house...and buys the other heir out. Perhaps the lesson learned is it may not be a good idea to leave a house to multiple heirs while one is living in it. I've used 10%, but if it was 50%, that might create an undue hardship on the heir living in the house if they can't afford to buy the other out. It could cause a forced sale of the asset or other assets to pay off the other heir. Good luck.
1 vote
Anne Edwards…, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun Sep 6, 2009
This requires legal attention -- email Terry Belt at -- great guy and will answer your question without charge and offer guidance. Best of luck to you and I am sorry about your brother:(
Web Reference:
1 vote
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Mon Sep 7, 2009
No one can render an opinion unless full documents are reviewed with research. You will have to obtain an attorney in state where the property is located. Sorry to hear about this.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter:
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more