How can I find out if there is a pit bull kennel next to the house we looked at?

Asked by Miriam, Moorestown, NJ Sat Nov 28, 2009

We looked at the house at 720 Garwood road, but one of the main reasons we didn't bid was the pit bull barking and lunging at us from 730 Garwood road. Are there any particular regulations isn Moorestown about dogs and fences? Or about Pit bulls? I know that there was a kennel at that house for a different breed of dog, and we were afraid that they now were breeding pit bulls. How can we find out if there is a kennel?

Answers

5
Karen Millig…, , Moorestown, NJ
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Wow! I cannot believe your agents did not ask, but if you notice they are all from outside areas! They do not know the area you are talking about, and there is nothing in it for them to promote it to you. It would have been kinder to notify the listing agent of your concerns. I also cannot believe, Miriam, that if you "looked" at the house, that your Realtor did not call the listing agent to get details.
The neighbor's "pit bull" is a lab mix, in a fenced yard. There are NO back yard cages, and there is only this one which is a pet, and a lab mix. The neighbor owner is quite a well known Maltese breeder (fully permitted breeding kennel inside on her property years ago). She is no longer breeding, and has not for over 5 years. She has that pet dog, and 2 pugs which are her granddaughter's. Not that that is anyone's business.
You passed on a very good property at an excellent price, for chatting with the wrong sources.
Francesca Pa…, Agent, Manasquan, NJ
Wed Dec 2, 2009
Miriam,

Follow your intuition, if it looks lit a pit bull kennel, smells like a pit bull kennel . . . it is a pit bull kennel.

I had a property listed for close to 12 months that had "cages" in the backyared and after about 8 months my seller finally admitted that his tenant was in the pitbull business. My point . . . . those who own kennels hide it well . . . . remember that football player?

Love and Peace,
Francesca, Realtor, ePro, SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931
Web Reference:  http://www.PatrizioRE.com
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Sat Nov 28, 2009
Hi Miriam,

My opinion.

Do you really want to start out your life in your new home with this on your head everyday? Is the house that great a buy? Do you think there may be a reason for that?

Here is what I would do, tell your agent that you really like the house, BUT, the kennel thing and the Pit bull thing is a problem and that your agent should contact the selling agent to find out what is going on next door.. If these people want to sell the house, then the other agent should get on that situation and get some information for you.. More than that, your agent should be finding out as much as possible about that property, zoning for the kennel, how many dogs, is there a breed preference... everything you can.

That is what I would do for my clients.

But, to me the whole thing sounds like a bad situation looking to get worse at the first barbque you have that the doggies smell.

good luck.
Elisa Dewees, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Sat Nov 28, 2009
You can look through the township codes, Chapter 65...I provided the link below. Or...call the Moorestown Public Works Department Phone (856): 235-3520. If someone is not following the township's rules, they can be reported and an investigator will go out to the home.

Neighbors are something that can change over the course of your home ownership...the old saying: "You cannot pick your neighbors or family" is so true!
Good luck with your househunting.
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Sat Nov 28, 2009
Most communities have regulations about how many dogs are allowed on residential property. Either as you agent to find out, or contact the municipal Building/Zoning Officer.

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Realty - Atlantic Shore