How can I determine if the Winding Creek neighborhood near Wesley Chapel has been built on a landfill?

Asked by Allison, Jefferson, MA Sat Mar 16, 2013

Answers

6
Daniel Fisher, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Mar 17, 2013
Good morning, Allison:
In NC, portions of land which has been filled with trash are required to be shown by the surveyor on the subdivision plat. Landfills have closure procedures and monitoring requirements. There are also aerial photographs of Union Co which go back to the early 1900's. Reviewing these with County planners would show the pattern of use and development. If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Kathleen Tur…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Mar 17, 2013
Hi Allison - your best bet is to go striaght to the source! Call Union County Public Works Department at 704-233-5334 . The Public Works Department controls Union County's landfills and solid waste. They will answer your questions. The website for Union County Public works is:

http://www.co.union.nc.us/departments/publicworks/landfillso…

Best success!

Kathleen Turner, ABR, CRS, ePro, Certified Paralegal
The Kathleen Turner Realty Group
704-609-2688
KathleenTurnerRealty@gmail.com
Thanks so much for this info, Kathleen! I'll do that first thing tomorrow!
Flag Sun Mar 17, 2013
John Siddons…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Mar 17, 2013
Hi Allison! Your best bet would be to go through the county plat maps/records. If you are buying in a new construction community, they would be required to disclose to you that it is built on a "brownfield". Let me know if you need help with your home search!

John Siddons
john.siddons@prucarolinas.com
dave, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Mar 17, 2013
Allison,

a title search might bring it up.. I ma not sure. I also have not had it come up here; which makes it even more difficult to answer. but, outside of that you can call the Union County public records office and they should have a filing if there was a landfill there.

And as the other two mentioned menthane vents are the only other thing I have heard of down here for landfills being built on....

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
Coldwell Banker United
ddicecco@cbunuited.com
http://www.davedicecco.com
Robin Faison, Agent, Huntersville, NC
Sat Mar 16, 2013
Allison,

It might be revealed in a title search as well. You could always visit other landfills like Revolution Golf Course in Mecklenburg County to see what the similarities are. It makes sense that there would be methane vents on the site as mentioned by Allyson. The landfill in Cabarrus County near the Lowe's Motor Speedway has a berm surrounding it. Berms are a good way to hide nuisances.

Wishing you success,
Robin
Allyson Ward, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sat Mar 16, 2013
If it were, there would ne methane vents around the community. Best to call the union county health department to find out where to go to get your answer. methane vents are a sure clue though.