Home Owners and Buyers - How do you choose a Realtor?

Asked by Lisa Coates, Burlington, MA Thu Nov 13, 2008

I'm curious to know what attributes your decisions process when choosing a real estate professional to work with? Is it commission? Experience? A Referral? Nice Website? Ads in Newspaper? Face to Face meeting at Open Houses? Are they a family member?

I look forward to your replies.

~Lisa~

Answers

2
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Tue Feb 9, 2010
Hi Lisa- I'm involved with RE agents everyday, but I also have owned a few homes and have used different realtors myself. This is a good question, with many different answers....
$$/ commissions/ rebates- this seems to be coming a bigger issue with the sour economy and low house prices. A lot of people think that if the seller is taking a beating, and maybe its harder for the buyer to qualify, maybe the seller or buyer should go with a low-cost/ discount realtor?
Many buyers might just use the listing agent as a dual agent, or use the listing agent's buddy at their own brokerage/ office.
Referrals are key; they are a big way to get that first meeting/ face to face that you need to seal the deal.
I think having a neighbor or good friend, or a close relative always has an inside scoop on getting the client.
Hope that is helpful. If you'd like to chat offline a bit, feel free.

Ken L.
Laura, , Massachusetts
Mon Feb 8, 2010
Lisa,
I think all the above are ways help to first meet people but it comes down to the rapport you have when you do meet. How you come across to them. The hard part is meeting people face to face!
Laura