Home Inspector Advertising? any advice?

Asked by sappolloni, North Port, FL Wed Feb 13, 2013

Does a simple e-mail and occasional pop-in do enough, or do real estate agents like when you bring goodies like cookies and freebies like that. Any advice would be great.

Answers

10
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Thu Feb 14, 2013
1. Agents already have inspectors.
-
2. Agents can buy their own cookies. Leave those ineffective actions to the mortgage broker.
-
3. Unless the email is sent by the agent broker, it will not be read. (hint)
-
4. Read number 3 again. Did you get the clue?
-
5 .Inspectors who have been with their agent for years and years often go flaky with the reports or become too busy to respond quickly. A recently fired inspector wrote up as 'Must do" indicating the plug for the range was not fully seated in the receptacle. Rather than push the plug into the receptacle, it became an action item on the report. Of course there are a gazillion excuses for not pushing in the plug...but he won't be sharing them with me. HE IS FIRED! You are looking to exploit these moments of dissatisfaction to your benefit. Since you can not know when calamity will happen, you need to be positioned, passively to be the beneficiary. What I did following the 'receptacle 'Must Do' is the action I felt I 'must do.'
-
6. YOU need, you must, to get into the agents cell phone.
a. Make the agent a value offer (What's in it for me?)
b. Use a QR code for them to respond (contact data embedded)
c. Be explicit regarding the 'exact' business you want.and what you are offering (i.e. need an inspection in 18 hours, weekends, Sunday, graduated schedule, additional services, report available upon completion of inspection, Free plastic Pink Flamingo for every yard!) Well, maybe not that last one.

7. I looked up my Plan B inspector on my cell and didn't miss a beat. Yes, I do have a Plan C.

Moral: Get your number into their cell phone. You achieve that by making it clear the precise problem they are having that you can and will solve. (I have already provided you a working list.) Then make it easy for them to do what you want. FOLKS like EZ.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Reamx Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Movie Tour
http://youtu.be/g1H-_ny-Mnk
I agree that you need to talk to an agent and get on their good side. That is really the best way to get them to start recommending you to their clients. Advertising can be difficult these days, but there are a lot of tricks. Having online presence is always a must. http://www.taylormadeinspections.com/about
Flag Mon Apr 20, 2015
Lufkin, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Thu Feb 16, 2017
Bring a presentation that not only informs realtors about the home inspection process, but also highlights your expertise in a certain area such as panel distribution boards or CSST. They will not only appreciate the knowledge you impart, but also the fact that your not just standing out front trying to sell yourself and your services. Be different from all other home inspectors. Don't come across as greedy. Don't even advertise your services. Just give them something to chew on. At the end of the presentation, provide brochures, business cards, and a warm smile and handshake. Answer questions honestly and build report. Calls will trickle in and in time, with practice and persistence, you will be as busy as you wish.

James McElroy
HomeTeam Inspection
TREC 20811
Lufkin, Tx.
936-634-7640
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Thu Feb 14, 2013
Great answer by Realtor Lynn! I usually give info on 4 or 5 inspectors and the http://www.Ashi.org website, too.
Lynn Brock, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Thu Feb 14, 2013
Sappolloni,

Essential for home inspectors, credentials. More than basic home inspector license.

The home inspection is a very critical part of the early transaction.

My process:

First step, ask client if they would like a home inspection
Second step, suggest that they research and select their own home inspector.
Third step, if they have none or ask for suggestions a list of five home inspection firms are provided along with their website, and contact info.
Fourth step, suggest that client researches, calls and selects the inspection firm that best suits their needs and interests.
Fifth step, the client and the inspector reach an agreement.
Sixth step, Agent attends the home inspection.

The summary of the report along with related photos is critical.

The home inspector and buyers are vendor and client. Not the realtor and vendor. In this case the realtor is a facilitator.

Was never impressed by free goodies etc. Just a job well done.

Lynn Brock
Brock Realty Inc.
941.313.1234
http://www.brockrealty-inc.com
Jeff and Kaye…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Wed Feb 13, 2013
Emails are useless if you don't already have a relationship. Pop-in with agents, bring something sometimes but steadily be there and get to know them. They will probably give you a chance when their regular inspector is out of town or too busy and then you can prove yourself to them. Be consistent about being in front of them but considerate of their time and it will pay off!
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Wed Feb 13, 2013
Angies List............................................
Bob Steedman, Agent, Seattle, WA
Wed Feb 13, 2013
Avaiablity is huge. Partner up with Brokers and like each others FB Business pages. Be active and post lot's of comments and pic's, expecially about advice to homeowners about specific items you find in home inspections. It provides good advice to both the Broker as well as clients.
Josh Barnett, Agent, Carney, OK
Wed Feb 13, 2013
The email will not do anything, the cookies will do better than the emails.

If the local association allows this, you should offer free classes at the local board, once a month on home inspection standards and practices, i.e. a class that explains the job requirements / licenses of your profession and what typically happens during different he said, she said scenarios.

Best of Luck
Tracy Hoyt, Agent, Valrico, FL
Wed Feb 13, 2013
Sappolloni,

Goodies and Freebies are always good but being available when we call, answering the clients in a quick and informative manner are more important. The Inspectors that I suggest to my clients are the ones that prove themselves over and over again to know the business and stay in touch with the client. A simple email reminding me your there is important, more so than any pop-in. Discounts as well help, $25 off the inspection makes us look better to our buyers and sellers.

Tracy Hoyt
Wayne Collier, Other Pro, Bowling Green, FL
Wed Feb 13, 2013
It usually takes a while to build and maintain working relationships with Realtors and other professionals. Goodies and Cookies are nice to eat and that's about it.
Agree.
Flag Wed Feb 13, 2013