Bgirl525, Home Buyer in Rockville, MD

Hi! i need some info for suggestions for best areas For a single 58 year old woman relocating to Dallas, Tx.

Asked by Bgirl525, Rockville, MD Thu Aug 1, 2013

Hi, I am writing on behalf of my mother. She will be relocating to Dallas/Forth Worth area from Pennsylvania. She's an active, single 58 year old. Any suggestions/advice on what are the best areas for her to move to. Also any groups or activities she can join that would help her meet people will be much appreciated since she does not doesn't know anyone in the area. Would renting a place before buying be more beneficial for her? A friend told her to look into Plano, Tx...is that area good for her age group? Many thanks in advance.

Answers

14
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sun Jun 15, 2014
I guess it depends on what she likes to do.....how active she is..and where she will work.
What comes to mind is McKinney.....or HEB Hurst Euless Beford area. I'd think about picking one of the areas that has a propensity to have more people her age....
However someplace like downtown might be fun too.
Walkable area....museums, music, events, etc...if she is into that sort of thing.

There are also neighborhoods like Savannah and Providence that are specifically designed to be very interactive and friendly.

http://www.metroplexhomesalesinfo.com/listings/propertytype/…

You can check out the houses for example in Providence at the link above.
Janet King, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Jan 11, 2014
I agree with some others on the city of Frisco and Plano. Both great areas which are popular for resale. I prefer Frisco over Plano as there is less traffic there, and a little lower property tax rate as well, newer homes and a little more affordable prices. Frisco has one of the most popular Dallas malls located in the city. There are many great places to eat and things to do in both cities. Frisco is just minutes from Plano, with great access to major roads for getting around all areas of Dallas.
Frisco is close to one of the most popular lakes in the area, if she likes outdoor activities, or just relaxing and watching sunsets.

As for meeting people, try a site call meetup.com. It's a good way to meet people with many different interests where she should find a group for anything she likes to do, or might want to try. This might be a good place to start until she has time to learn about other opportunities.

I hope the home search goes well, and please call if I can help. I'd love to meet her and help her find the perfect new home in the Dallas area.

Janet Nelson
972-658-4401
Susie Kay, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Aug 23, 2013
There are plenty of good areas for her to live and yes, Plano can be one of them. What is her budget?

I'd be happy to assist your mom, Nina, with her move, and I'm also one of the volunteers at Plano Senior Center (55+). Give me a call at 469-371-2899 and we can discuss.

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
Carla Pennin…, Agent, Georgetown, TX
Fri Aug 23, 2013
You can search by address for crime in an area at this website: mylocalcrime.com
Kenneth "Ken…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Aug 3, 2013
Just pick any 1 Realtor to assist in finding your Mom a great home in a great area community.
Linda Lorenzo, Agent, McKinney, TX
Sat Aug 3, 2013
As mentioned there are many great areas for her to choose from. As a single widow myself ( I live in McKinney) I feel very comfortable in the North Dallas area. I also have single female clients who live in Plano, Allen & Frisco and are very happy with their cities. There are lots of nice areas fro her to choose from. A trip down here before she relocates will help here narrow down what area to look in.

A good place to look for groups is meetup.com - that will give her an idea of some people with common interests and what areas they are focused on.

if she would like more specific information on McKinney, you can check my Pinterest account - http://www.pinterest.com/mckinneyrealtor

If there any demographics or other information she would like on any areas, please let me know I would be happy to be of assistance.
Bgirl525, Home Buyer, Rockville, MD
Sat Aug 3, 2013
I want to thanks everyone for their responses. I have relayed all your responses to my mother, Nina. To answer some of your questions she does not currently working (early retirement), however, she is a FABULOUS interior decorator and assists clients/friends with her expertise (you see see pics of her house -WOW). She is very outgoing and a people person. She wants to find an area that has things for her to do - that is relatively close to restaurants, shopping, etc. Somewhere while it will be easy to do stuff and meet new people. She wants to purchase a singly family home because that is what she had in Pennsylvania - her home was 3349 sq feet.

Thanks, again for all your help. It is much appreciated.
You are more than welcome! If she wants someone that is knowledgable and knows the area well have her give us a call at (469) 855-9558.
Flag Sat Aug 3, 2013
The United H…, Agent, Mansfield, TX
Fri Aug 2, 2013
All great questions and answers. Honestly, renting an estate as a relo can hurt you if you have a non-experienced agent representing you in the purchase of an estate. Example: You're trusting your agents judgment and knowledge in an area you and or your mother has never resided in. Obviously if done properly purchasing is a better investment than renting. This is considering you begin building equity from day one, you tend to have a higher quality of life because you're residing in your own estate opposed to living in a cramped apartment listen to neighbors argue at 2am in the morning, ha. If you need further guidance I welcome the opportunity to assist your family in their search. Plano is an excellent area, along with Grand Prairie which is an extremely hot market. A lot will depend on her price range.

Real Estate Consultant
3x US Army Veteran
Joseph Fernandez
Blog: blissfulestates84.blogspot.com
Email: blissfulestates84@gmail.com
Trulia: http://www.trulia.com/profile/josephfernandez/
Zillow: http://www.zillow.com/profile/JosephFernandez/
Web: http://www.blissful-estates.com
Linkedin http://:www.linkedin.com/pub/josephfernandez/63/423/96b/
Facebook:facebook.com/joseph.fernandez.5876
Bill Jordan, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Aug 2, 2013
Yes, Plano is good, as are many others. You didn't say if she is working or not. That will make a difference. Please contact us at billjordan@mywdr.com, or 214.621.9689.
Thank you!
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Aug 1, 2013
My 80 year old mom moved to Bedford and loves it.
She is involved nearly every day in tutoring, church, Rotary, book club, library stuff, senior activities, etc.

Probably depends on what your mom likes to do and what price range she wants to be in.

Does she want a house, a condo, townhome?

Feel free to give me a call.
Barbara Wils…, Agent, Allen, TX
Thu Aug 1, 2013
I agree with McKinney, more specifically the Historic District. I live there myself and as an over 50 single, widow. It is a very nice and diverse community. Depending on where she lives now, she may not be used to the cookie cutter preplanned subdivisions that are so prevalent here. The Historic District is filled with wonderful shops and restaurants within walking distance and has a warm and inviting atmosphere I am sure she will love.
Please let me know if I can help her in any way.

Barbara Wilson
StarCrest Realty
214-564-7579
Angela Willis, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Aug 1, 2013
I am glad you asked. McKinney,Tx has been voted as one of the best places to live according Money Magazine. It ranked no.2. In 2012 but it is still a nice place. Every Sunday morning, i enjoy seeing patrons ride the hot air balloons Fairview is another great place to live. Fairview is 2 minutes from McKinney.It is a small town with city and country qualities. There is plenty of opportunities for shopping,entertainment at the Event Center, and great eating. The neighborhoods have continued to hold their market value even during a down economy. watch the Today show video by going to http://www.mckinneytexas.org click on Living in McKinney. And on the left side click on "Best Places to Live"
Katherene Ho…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Aug 1, 2013
Hi Bgirl525. Where your Mom would like living most and whether to rent before she buys are two big questions! Active, single and 58 is a good start, but more information would be necessary to give her good advice on how to tailor her search. When is she planning on relocating? Feel free to reach out to me for more information - I'd love to help if I can. Working with a good Realtor, whether for a lease or purchase, is essential for a relocation.
Thanks so much for for your reply. She will be flying out to the Dallas area mid to late August. To check out the area. She sold her Pennsylvania home (settlement is at the end of September) so she will be relocating at that time, hence, she needs to find a place. She is graviting toward buying a home. I totally agree that she needs a good realtor to work with her. What other info do you need me to provide you? Please let me know.
Flag Thu Aug 1, 2013
Philip Watki…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Aug 1, 2013
Look into "Frisco Lakes" in Frisco, TX. Very close to Plano. In addition, Frisco Lakes is a quiet retirement community with plenty of people around her age that are active as well! As far as renting goes, I would not with the mortgage rates being as low as they are right now, it is a great time to purchase & building equity rather throwing 6+ month's of mortgage payments to someone else. Let me know if you need additional help... 469-855-9558